What approaches do people use for automated testing, what tools do you use and a

Certified Senior Developer
What approaches do people use for automated testing, what tools do you use and are the tests/testing framework easy to maintain?

I come from an area that automates as much as possible our testing for other application technologies at various levels, Unit Testing, Acceptance Testing, Performance Testing, etc., using various tools, JUnit, Cucumber, Selenium, LoadRunner, etc., and we've seen a significant increase in productivity and quality within our development teams, so we want to extend this to include our Appian applications.

This question appears to have been asked previously but not recently so I wondered if peoples approaches had matured to a level where writing automated tests just becomes part of the standard development lifecycle....

OriginalPostID-120592

OriginalPostID-120592

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • We are using a customized version of Selenium to automate regression tests for all our Appian applications. It has worked great as we have expertise in-house and other non-Appian applications also use the same.

Unfortunately, as others have also indicated, our scripts were written for 16.x versions, and since 17.1 upgrade we have had to invest a considerable amount of time to fix and adapt our scripts to new versions. Even though the Appian UI did not change much, the generated code (XPath) did change. We have started looking at Fitnesse as well, because it is supported by Appian and with every version upgrade they make sure it is compatible.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks and , definitely very handy info. I will try using both UFT and Selenium for now concurrently. My aim is to use UFT for the more longer running business processes and workflows, as the object identification seems pretty solid in UFT example identifies webtables etc quite well. Script creation is also extremely fast with UFT. I would use Selenium more on a smoke tests basis to be included as part of 'lighter' smokes tests to be included as part of CI. I will try to monitor the 'xpath changing after versions' issue based on what Adeel mentioned above (for Selenium). I will feedback on the progress of both these options once I have something concrete to share.
  • Thanks and , definitely very handy info. I will try using both UFT and Selenium for now concurrently. My aim is to use UFT for the more longer running business processes and workflows, as the object identification seems pretty solid in UFT example identifies webtables etc quite well. Script creation is also extremely fast with UFT. I would use Selenium more on a smoke tests basis to be included as part of 'lighter' smokes tests to be included as part of CI. I will try to monitor the 'xpath changing after versions' issue based on what Adeel mentioned above (for Selenium). I will feedback on the progress of both these options once I have something concrete to share.
Children
No Data