Append data in same excel sheet

Hi Experts,

I'm extracting some data by doing some comparisons via process model and when whole data is extracted(just before the process going to end node), I finally dump the data in excel using Export CDT to excel.

But the problem is, in this process a variable of type CDT contains whole data for long (till dumping it to excel) which increase its chances of failure if a large amount of data will extract.

I want ---> If in total there are 6000 rows which need to be extract,

So I want to extract first 1000 rows and dump them in excel and repeat this process for all the 6000 rows which extract in 6 times.

Main problem ---> I want all the data in same excel, same sheet, next 1000 rows append after the first 1000 rows

Don't want different excel , different sheet.

Suggest some possible solutions thoroughly 

Thanks in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Associate Developer

Hi ,
    We cannot do it as you want because after running the smart service(Export CDT to Excel) once, it returns the document and this service has also been deprecated.
    instead of this, you can use the Export Data Store Entity to Excel smart service, This service exports the data from the respected table.
    if you already have data in the table you can directly use this service with the required filters. if not then create a temporary table, map with Datastore, and insert the data in batching in a temporary table and use this temporary table entity in the smart service whose data you want to export.
    once data is exported, truncate or delete the inserted data.
    to understand more visit this Documentation:-
    https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/23.4/Export_To_Excel_Smart_Service.html

• Hi  ,

Thanks for replying

I understand all the things you said but the only restriction is that I can't create any new table, not even my data is directly from DB table. The only thing I want a single excel sheet with whole data in end.

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to harshw0876

Hi ,
    I understand, that you have a restriction is with creating a temporary table then we can't use this smart service but this is the most appropriate approach by performance point.
    but if you want to continue with this deprecated smart service then you can try that generate multiple Excel documents according to your batching data and merge all the Excel documents by the merge Excel document smart service and generate a new merge Excel document. once the merge Excel document is generated, delete the Excel document generated by batching data from the system.

• You can try: 

Open each Excel sheet containing the data you want to combine.
    Select the entire data range in each sheet (including headers if desired). You can use keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+A (Windows) or Command+A (Mac) to select all data.
    Copy the data (Ctrl+C or Command+C).
    Go to the destination sheet where you want the combined data.
    Select the cell where you want the top-left corner of the pasted data to appear.
    Paste the data (Ctrl+V or Command+V).
    Repeat these steps for each sheet you want to combine.

five nights at freddy's

• Dear  , I want a solution within Appian, I only want a single sheet as output so we don't need to do this.

• Sorry, I've never encountered this situation before, I'm also a new member so I don't know the answer too well. However, I consulted the internet and found a solution. You can consult. However, I'm not sure if it's correct, I'm sorry:

"Use a loop to iterate through the data sources.
    Inside the loop, use appropriate functions to convert the data from each source into a text format (e.g., CSV). You can use built-in functions like "text.join" or custom logic depending on the data structure.
    Append the converted text from each source to a single text file using file operations functions like "file.append".
    Convert Text to Excel:
    Once all data is appended to the text file, use file operations to convert the text file back to an Excel sheet with desired formatting. You can achieve this by writing the text with headers and delimiters compatible with Excel import."

• Thank you  for your input, I'm also doing the same thing as you suggest, and the only thing stopping for doing this, is any variable capable of holding such huge data, If not than it is also a problem.

Reply Children
No Data