Long File in Appian

Certified Associate Developer

Hello

We need to work with files larger than 1 GB, and in particular we have two scenarios:

1- A portal made in Angular, where users external to the organisation will attach a document larger than 1 GB. We need this file to reach Appian and then be sent to a sharepoint of the organisation. We have a limitation when receiving the file from the external portal as the appian api only allows 75 MB.

2- The other scenario is that a user in appian wants to attach files larger than 1GB in an appian interface with the uploadfile component, then appian through a web service must send it to sharepoint. We have the problem that the uploadfile component only allows 1GB.

For these two scenarios, what would be the optimal solution?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

1) in case it's a possibility, i've used the sFTP plug-in to easily transfer files larger than 1 GB.  I'm unclear what your requirement is exactly, but this could potentially fill a gap.

2) how often do you have users needing to attach a file larger than 1GB?  Is there any possibility of having files broken up first?

in reply to Mike Schmitt

1) in case it is a possibility, I have used the sFTP plug-in to easily transfer files larger than 1GB. I'm not clear exactly what your requirement is, but this could fill a gap.

I'm not clear if SFTP can be used to drop files on Sharepoint, have you ever done it?

2) How often do users have to attach a file larger than 1GB, is there a possibility to split the files first?

Users will attach these files every time they create a case, it is a relatively small volume. How could I split the files in Appian, I have searched for information and I can't find it.

in reply to Mike Schmitt

1) in case it is a possibility, I have used the sFTP plug-in to easily transfer files larger than 1GB. I'm not clear exactly what your requirement is, but this could fill a gap.

I'm not clear if SFTP can be used to drop files on Sharepoint, have you ever done it?

2) How often do users have to attach a file larger than 1GB, is there a possibility to split the files first?

Users will attach these files every time they create a case, it is a relatively small volume. How could I split the files in Appian, I have searched for information and I can't find it.

Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Raúl Gómez Moya

I haven't - from a quick google it's suggested that it might be enabled via the addition of some 3rd-party service that handles the ultimate transfer of files from FTP to sharepoint.  There may be other easier ways too, I'm not sure.

Users will attach these files every time they create a case

Users are regularly needing to attach files that are > 1 GB?!?  That seems incredible.  Is there no way to streamline that file size?  What do the files contain??

How could I split the files in Appian

I'm talking about splitting them on the user-end prior to Appian upload.  Like via creating multi-part ZIP archives or something else along those lines, if streamlining of the file sizes is impossible for you.  That being said, the first thing I'd look into is reducing the original file sizes - 1 GB seems overboard for almost any use case I can think of, other than if users need to upload movie-length video files for some reason.

in reply to Mike Schmitt

Our use case , uses building plans with .cad extension , they are viazualized in AutoCAD , that's why they are so heavy , that's why every time a case is created , they attach the files of the building plans . I am not sure if there is a way to split those files into smaller files or if it is possible to do a chunked file transfer, I have never seen it in appian.