stored procedure behaving unexpectedly

Certified Senior Developer

DELIMITER $$
CREATE OR REPLACE DEFINER=`dbadmin`@`%` PROCEDURE `FAR_STAGE_BP_IMPACT`()
BEGIN
		UPDATE FAR_BREAKS_STAGE cod
		INNER JOIN FAR_IBOR_BP_IMPACT_DATA tna ON (cod.FUND_SYMBOL = tna.ACCT_CD_FMRID)
		SET 
		cod.IBOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD = tna.MKT_VAL_USD,
			cod.BREAK_BP_IMPACT =
			CASE
				WHEN 
				IFNULL(cod.IBOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD,0) = 0 THEN
					WHEN cod.DEBIT_CREDIT = 'Debit' THEN
					CAST(IFNULL(((cod.USD_EQ_Amount / cod.IBOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD) * -10000), 0) AS DOUBLE(10, 4))
				ELSE
					CAST(IFNULL(((cod.USD_EQ_Amount / cod.IBOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD) * 10000), 0) AS DOUBLE(10, 4))

END
		WHERE
			tna.ACCT_CD_FMRID IS NOT NULL and cod.REC_TYPE = 'IBOR';

UPDATE FAR_BREAKS_STAGE cod
		INNER JOIN FAR_ABOR_BP_IMPACT_DATA tna ON (cod.FUND_NUMBER = tna.ACCOUNT_NUMBER_IO)
		SET 
		cod.ABOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD = tna.TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD,
		cod.BREAK_BP_IMPACT =
			CASE
				WHEN 
				IFNULL(cod.ABOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD,0) = 0 THEN
				WHEN cod.DEBIT_CREDIT = 'Debit' THEN
					CAST(IFNULL(((cod.USD_EQ_Amount / cod.ABOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD) * -10000), 0) AS DOUBLE(10, 4))
				ELSE
				 CAST(IFNULL(((cod.USD_EQ_Amount / cod.ABOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD) * 10000), 0) AS DOUBLE(10, 4))
			END

WHERE
			tna.ACCOUNT_NUMBER_IO IS NOT NULL and cod.REC_TYPE = 'ABOR';

UPDATE FAR_BREAKS_STAGE bs SET 
			bs.FUND_BP_IMPACT =
			CASE WHEN 
			 bs.REC_TYPE= 'IBOR' THEN
			 fn_get_sum(bs.FUND_SYMBOL, 'IBOR')
			ELSE
		  fn_get_sum(bs.FUND_SYMBOL, 'ABOR') 
          END;

END$$
DELIMITER ;

This stored procedure which is updating same table thrice with joins with other table is not running properly. sometimes it is only updating ABOR data and sometimes it is updating only IBOR data. sometimes it update FUND_IMPACT column, other times don't execute it at all. Please suggest why it is behaving like that. Timeout is set as 600 ms.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

•  

I suspect there could be multiple reasons for that

1. Row Locking - If multiple updates are trying to modify the same rows, there could be a row lock that prevents one of the updates from proceeding.

2. Each update statement has a Where clause, if one of the condition in the where clause does not match any rows, the update will be skipped for those rows. It could cascade down to further updates too

3. If there are triggers on the table that are executing as a result of the UPDATE statements, they might cause unexpected behavior such as skipping rows or modifying the table in a way that affects subsequent updates.

I would advise you to try having three similar test tables and test data for BREAKS, ABOR and IBOR. Modify the stored procedure to update these test tables. And then you can try testing and debugging to point out exactly what is happening exactly with the procedure.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Soma

If it were something related with row locking, the behaviour would be different, because the SP would return an error, instead of update only certain rows.

Check your sentences, I think that will be related with the where/when clauses used.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Soma

I think #2 is the most likely option.

hi   my thought would be Null or Missing Join Conditions could result in updates being skipped if there are no matching records in the joined tables.  Ensure that the join conditions are correct and that the joined tables have the expected data. You can also temporarily replace the INNER JOIN with a LEFT JOIN to see if any rows are being filtered out due to missing matches.

in reply to Mathieu Drouin

when i am running these three update statements in stored procedure, it is updating only IBOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD and ABOR_TOTAL_NET_ASSETS_USD but not updating Break_BP_Impact and FUND_BP_IMPACT column, they are all 0.0000 or null. But when I run these three update statements separately one by one in sequence in SQL manually, it is working correctly and updating all columns. Why it is not working in the stored procedure????