Hi All, I've been doing some browser analysis recently, in partic

Hi All,

I've been doing some browser analysis recently, in particular on IE8. I know support for this will be stopping soon, however does anyone have a view of how Appian will perform on this browser in the short term future? I assume that portal will still be fine on it. My concern is with tempo and whether advances in tempo will mean IE8 can no longer be used.

Thanks,
Dave

OriginalPostID-175787

OriginalPostID-175787

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @David, As per my understanding from the webinar conducted recently on 7.11 features, it's mentioned that the support of IE8 will be stopped by Jan 2016 meaning it will not support any tempo features as well..
  • From our documentation here is the current information on IE:
    1. Microsoft Internet Explorer 10, 9, and 8 are deprecated and will not be supported in a future release of Appian.
    2. Support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 is being removed in the January 2016 release of Appian.

forum.appian.com/.../System_Requirements.html

I can't predict how Appian will perform in IE8 in the short term future, as our developers will no longer optimize for it. This means that major functionality is still likely to work, but as the Feature Support by Browser table shows, IE 8 already doesn't support the following:

- Embedded tasks and related actions
    - Appian Designer /design
    - Administration Console

As time goes on IE8 is likely to experience more and more compatibility issues in future versions of Appian. I'd recommend moving towards a more recent version of IE in the near term, rather than taking chances with IE 8.
  • Microsoft isn't patching IE8 as of January 2016. IE8 doesn't support modern encryption either. In monitoring, we have IE8 usage nose dive in usage in 2015 given Microsoft's announcement.