Many times, I need to find what all objects(Rules/Constants) in an application a

Many times, I need to find what all objects(Rules/Constants) in an application are orphaned (i.e. have zero dependents). This is mostly needed when we are working on an Appian application for a long time, and eventually some rules/constants become deprecated/no longer used because their functionality is no longer needed/or their functionality is served by other rules. We need to put such objects in a DEPRECATED folder or delete them.

I know we can find if an object is orphaned in /suite/design. We can select that object and click on the "Dependents" button. If it does not show any dependents except the application in which it is contained - then we can be assured that the object is not referenced by any other object(s). However, there is no way to find all the orphaned objects in an application in one click.

It is tedious to find all the orphaned objects manually(imagine trying to find dependents of hundreds of ob...

OriginalPostID-224463

OriginalPostID-224463

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Siddharth Bhardwaj

Sorry, this was over 4 years ago, I don't have that script on hand anymore. It is also probably outdated because it relied on XML structure which could have changed over the years.

It doesn't take that much time to develop - maybe a few hours - first build your parsing engine, then build a list of all objects in the application XML, next build a tree or map to associate objects together, finally do some set difference between that tree and the master list to see what is orphaned.