Audit Trail

Certified Lead Developer
We have a requirement to create an audit trail in our app that captures every change made on each record at the field level. In addition, we also need to store the original and new value of the field. This is goes beyond the typical audit trail use case that captures the key activities and milestones, not necessarily every data value modified.

We're considering creating DB triggers on the tables storing record data and writing every change to a AUDIT table.

Have others built a similar audit trail? Any recommendations and best practices that can be shared, would be recommended.

OriginalPostID-230702

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    I've been involved with building this sort of thing manually within Appian - not always but definitely sometimes capturing field-level changes. For me it's usually been the case that we use a master audit log table, which has specific columns indicating the acting user and date of change, a record ID field and a record type ID field, where the type ID tells us which data type / table it's acting on, and the record ID field tells us which actual row. Then to store record-specific details or field-level change details, or in other cases just a note about the nature of the audit log entry being made, there's a large text field in which we store JSON text, controlled by expression rules we write in Appian. This gives us the ability to have some flexibility in the usage for a fixed table structure, and tweak the granularity of detail we store when needed. For viewing the log data later, a different expression rule decodes the JSON data and usually keys off which record type ID that row has, etc. This method takes some manual work to set up obviously, but the benefit is you have total control over how it acts and is 100% Appian out-of-box.
    Certified Lead Developer
    I've been involved with building this sort of thing manually within Appian - not always but definitely sometimes capturing field-level changes. For me it's usually been the case that we use a master audit log table, which has specific columns indicating the acting user and date of change, a record ID field and a record type ID field, where the type ID tells us which data type / table it's acting on, and the record ID field tells us which actual row. Then to store record-specific details or field-level change details, or in other cases just a note about the nature of the audit log entry being made, there's a large text field in which we store JSON text, controlled by expression rules we write in Appian. This gives us the ability to have some flexibility in the usage for a fixed table structure, and tweak the granularity of detail we store when needed. For viewing the log data later, a different expression rule decodes the JSON data and usually keys off which record type ID that row has, etc. This method takes some manual work to set up obviously, but the benefit is you have total control over how it acts and is 100% Appian out-of-box.
Children