FitNesse for Appian: Scenario Variables and Expressions

#AppianFitnesse

I am trying to determine the feasibility of using scenario variables inside an expression. I have not had success following the same methodology as !define variables in a script.

As a simple example, the following scenario would take the input value (valVar), increment the value by 1, and populate a form field.

|scenario |increment value|valVar |
|populate field|Answer |with |${=@valVar + 1 =}|

The expression doesn't evaluate though, nor any of the variations I've tried. Has anyone had success here? I have several potential uses for this type of evaluation that would simplify scenarios I am working on.

Thanks!

OriginalPostID-234834

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Can you elaborate your actual use case? Is it just that you want to use a single variable and populate different fields with values by adding or subtracting from that variable?
  • For one use case, I need to adjust a field value on a form ("Val A") by a user input amount ("Val B") as part of a series of actions. The problem is that I don't know what "Val A" is until I am on the form. I'd like to take "Val B" in as a scenario input that I can use to adjust "Val A".

For another use case, I am trying to create a workaround for not being able to use conditional statements. On one form, there is either one or two grids depending on the state of the form. The grids aren't labeled and the index of the grid I need to adjust inputs on changes from [1] to [2] depending on the state of the form. In this situation, I want to have a scenario that takes in a binary (0/1) input and then can select the index of the grid via an expression. (Alternately, I could create two distinct scenarios but my preference is to only have one if possible.)
  • (I realize in the 2nd case, I could also take in a 1/2 instead of a binary 0/1 but I was going for inputs where I could set 0=False, 1=True).