Change Group Type

Certified Lead Developer
Hi All, Is there any way we can change the group type of a group already created without affecting the dependent rules?

Thanks.

OriginalPostID-237521

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @hiteshd To the best of my knowledge, the answer would be it really depends on certain things and a few of them are as follows:

1. How often did you depend on groupType to retrieve the groups? For instance, did you configure the security/visibility of any objects to depend on the groups that belong to only certain group type?
    2. Did you use the attributes of the Group Type? If so, did you depend on querying the groups based on the attributes or did you depend on the values of the attributes of the group anywhere? If so, this kind of queries will fail if the new Group Type doesn't have those attributes that the old Group Type possess.

It's really hard to conclude until and unless there is some one who knows how the Group Type and its associated attributes have been used through out the entire application.
  • It looks like you'll need the GroupService.changeGroupTypeOfGroup method in the API. I couldn't find an existing plugin that provides this functionality, but creating one shouldn't be difficult at all.
  • Well, my response posted above is all about the effects of the change and yes, as said by @carloss, it should be simple and the method mentioned by him is the one that I have found in the API when I have come across the same use case a while ago.