Finding object properties

#DesignerTip

Have you ever been working on a rule, and not been sure how to find out simple information like what its parent folder is? There are two ways to find out!

#1: Starting in Appian 7.5, all of our modern object design interfaces offer access to basic object metadata by clicking on the object's name in the top left. As of Appian 7.9, this includes interfaces, expression rules, data types, web APIs, sites, and applications.

See it in action here: www.screencast.com/.../od0AtDvn

#2: Starting in Appian 7.9, you can select any object in the application designer and click Precedents. Its parent folder shows up in the resulting list. Starting in Appian 7.10, this works from the Objects view as well.

See it in action here: www.screencast.com/.../CKVX95kN

Cheers!

Comment below if this tip helped you. Follow me to get more #DesignerTips.

OriginalPostID-237906

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
  • Conceivably (although it's a roll-your-own solution and has a relatively high start-up level of effort) you could use RPA to automate what I think you've been doing manually so far. Your design would:

• have a list of object types that support versioning
    • would iterate through that list
    • for each object type:
      • check the relevant box in Designer
      • select each object in your list (if there are multiple pages of objects you can grab the count at the bottom right of the list and calculate how many pages you need to process)
      • select the "More" button and select 'Versions'
      • retrieve the relevant information from the versions pop-up pane)

As I suggest this should work in theory, but you'll need RPA enabled in your environment and a server to host your bot on. Which all sounds way harder than just installing Content Tools and getting some basic info that way.

Children
No Data