Start Appian Process From External ASP.NET application and get the Response with acknowledgement

Hi All,

I am creating an ASP.NET application to collect data from external users, this application will be exposed to internet.

Once user submits the asp.net form, it will have to trigger a process model from Appian Application (this appian application is exposed to intranet users only).

Kindly guide how to achieve this task? what are the settings i will have to made to Appian designer side and on the web application side?

Please suggest

TIA :)

Asif

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    Use Web API to expose the process model. While creating a Web API, select process model from the list of available templates. You can then pass the process model you want to expose there. You can configure your success message and error message there itself. Also, when you create a Web API, you will get a link to access that web api from external system. You also have to use basic http authentication while calling the Appian Web API. If your application is accessed through a web page and your are making a call to Appian from that web page, you might have to consider Cross Origin Request as well.

You can find more on web API here: docs.appian.com/.../Designing_Web_APIs.html
    You can find more on Cross Origin Requests here: docs.appian.com/.../Web_APIs.html
    Certified Lead Developer

Along with the Adithya's suggestion, Don't forgot to use Post method while creating the web API, As only post methods can start the process models.

• Thanks Aditya,

I want to test the generated endpoint using WCF test client tool but once i enter the URL of Endpoint.
    it is showing the following error:
    Error: Cannot obtain Metadata from localhost:8080/suite/webapi/InitiateServiceDeskProcess If this is a Windows (R) Communication Foundation service to which you have access, please check that you have enabled metadata publishing at the specified address. For help enabling metadata publishing, please refer to the MSDN documentation at go.microsoft.com/.../ Exchange Error URI: localhost:8080/suite/webapi/InitiateServiceDeskProcess Cannot obtain Metadata from localhost:8080/suite/webapi/InitiateServiceDeskProcess. The URI scheme is not supported by default. Add a client endpoint in config with name="" and contract="IMetadataExchange" and an appropriate binding to obtain Metadata from this URI.

how to resolve this?