WEB API in Appian

Hi All,

If I am having a WEB API which is created in Appian, I wanted to know the following scenario what is the response,

The API which is exposed, will be used by an Integration system (for Eg Mule) and

1. Will API in Appian system be down with Appian environment Up.

2. What are the scenarios where this WEB API is down.

Please help :)

TIA

Harsha

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hey Harsha,

AFAIK, below are my comments

1. Will API in Appian system be down with Appian environment Up.
    <<>>Web APi will not be down if the Appian Environment is up (all servers).
    <<>>we can have a timeout if the load is too much.

2. What are the scenarios where this WEB API is down.
    <<>>when the Appian Environment is down.
    <<>>if the web api call reaches a timeout, it might not work as expected.

Thanks
    Certified Lead Developer
    Hi Harsha,

Could you explain what exactly is the use case for which you are concerned about these scenarios?
    Certified Lead Developer
    What I understood with your questions that you are curious to know about causes/ possible reasons of Appian WEB API down.
    So the answers should be:
    1) If Appian environment is down or issue with Appian Serve.
    2) Session timeout during transaction (due to high load or slow network connection)
    3) Network failure.
    Otherwise, Web API should work fine in Appian. Thanks
  • Hi Harsha,
    Following is my response to your query:
    Q1. Will API in Appian system be down with Appian environment Up.
    A. No
    Q2. What are the scenarios where this WEB API is down.
    A. This is the exact opposite of the above scenario, WebAPI goes down (similar to getting a http code 503) when Appian environment is down/ becomes unresponsive.
    Thanks
    Certified Lead Developer

Hi  as per my recent experience, please find my response over your queries below:

1. Appian WEB-API might be down when your Appian environment is Up. Because Web-API is depending upon whether their specific service/engine is Up/Running or not but not based on Appian Environment. As we are aware even thought if few of the services of Appian is down but still your environment will be Up and running, but you might not be able to utilize those services which isn't started properly. And Hence as a resolution, you will need to restart the engines. Hence, When Appian is down means Web-API will be definitely down whereas if the environment is Up doesn't mean that WEB-API must be UP and running always.

2. WEB-API can be down in following conditions:
    -> When the server is down.
    -> When all the engines didn't start properly.
    -> When there are some firewall restrictions into server machine, this will cause some issue in exchanging the information between two systems