Can anyone please advise how to integrate AWS Cognito with Appian

Can anyone please advise how to integrate AWS Cognito with Appian using a Java SDK Jar file. As per my understanding we can deploy that Java SDK jar file as an Appian Plugin and then we can use the inbuilt methods from that jar directly in Appian. In this case, we do not require any so called Rest API integration from Appian and we can directly access those methods. Please let me know if my understanding is correct or if any better way is available in Appian

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello Sudiptab,

To give better recommendations as always everything will depend on your use case, I will answer your questions about the jar and then give some comments on the AWS Cognito

The short answer, if you already have jar to reuse it inside appian you need to create a appian-plugin jar( below I provide some links.

For the plugins seems like you have read the documentation, your understanding is correct. If you are in the java world the architecture used for the plugins is the OSGI which allows you to hot deploy new functionality/libraries without restarting the server. The plugins can have new jars inside them which isolates the jars used in the plugins and the jars used by the application server.
    * docs.appian.com/.../Custom_Function_Plug-ins.html
    * academy.appian.com/.../

So, you can put your jar inside the plugin specifically on the /lib folder and then create the functions. to do this it is always simpler if you use the "eclipse plugin"
    community.appian.com/.../eclipse-plugin-creator
    follow the discussion you will be able to figure it out if you already know eclipse it is straight forward.
    As others said when using plugin you can put there all the logic so you don't need any rest API.

Comments regarding the user case:

What do you really need to integrate between AWS Cognito and Appian. Do you want to use Cognito for SSO to access Appian? from your question i can think that this is not the case and your scenario is more about Appian controlling the approval workflow that makes some operations maybe on the access control or manage the configuration on AWS Cognito?

If what you need is the SSO consider the SAML (identity federation)
    * docs.appian.com/.../SAML_for_Single_Sign-On.html
    * docs.aws.amazon.com/.../cognito-user-pools-identity-federation.html

Or you are trying to get the tokens? synchronize users? create or alter users?
    Not sure which API you are trying to use. Maybe you are able to use the integration object if it is available as rest
    * docs.aws.amazon.com/.../cognito-userpools-server-contract-reference.html

Or as you described as Plugin that is another option. Which are would recommend to test as Jim suggested just to make sure the plugin is able to work in Appian server.

At the if you have both choices then you pick which one you prefer to give support? a plugin or an integration object?

If it were me I would try the rest version unless you already have the code in java tested and working then you maybe want to consider the plugin option.

Hope this helps
    Jose