Integrations and Documents

Hi everyone, Is there a way to look at documents from an outside source without having to save that document into the knowledge center.  What I mean by that is, if for example i have documents store in an external server, and i have an API for that document passing the docs info as the endpoints.  So i have an Integration Object into Appian calling the endpoint as a post.  Is there a way to view that document directly from the Integration Object just like in Postman?

Regards,

Jerry

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Jerry -
    I want to make sure I'm following you.

I think you're asking, "Can I look at documents external to Appian from inside Appian?"
    (Which begs the question: does "look at" mean see that the documents exist, or read/view the content of the document?)

But then you wrote "...an Integration Object into Appian calling the endpoint as a post", which sounds to me like an external consumer is calling an Appian webAPI - so then it sounds like the activity is initiated externally.

If you wouldn't mind, can you share your use case so we can better understand what you'd like to do?

Thanks,
    Rob
  • Hey Rob,
    The idea is that i would like to read/view documents external to Appian from Inside Appian without having to save that document using a knowledge Center/Folder etc....
    We had some documents in Appian that we transferred to an external server via SFTP because of environment overload in which the documents were taking too much space on the environment's server. Now we want the user to be able to view those outside documents from within Appian. Is there any way it could be done in that manner. If not are there any suggestions on how to best implement this?
  • Hey Rob,
    The idea is that i would like to read/view documents external to Appian from Inside Appian without having to save that document using a knowledge Center/Folder etc....
    We had some documents in Appian that we transferred to an external server via SFTP because of environment overload in which the documents were taking too much space on the environment's server. Now we want the user to be able to view those outside documents from within Appian. Is there any way it could be done in that manner. If not are there any suggestions on how to best implement this?
Children
  • If you cannot increase the size of where you're storing your docs, then you may need to get creative.
    18.3 has a new doc viewer capability that allows the user to view docs without even downloading them. I'd like for you to be able to leverage that.
    For now, I'm wondering if you couldn't leverage the web content field to give you an Appian "window" into something else that displays your docs....