Exception handling for integration object called as a rule

Hi there all

How do I do exception handling when i retrieve data through the integration object when i'm using it as a rule.  Do I need to?  

We are reading data from the integration object and displaying it on a UI based on data input in other fields.  I want to make sure that the UI behaves okay even when the service times out or is not responding.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • To add to the other responder, the best way to do this is to use an if statement with the integration response. So you could do something like this:

a!localVariables(
      /* Call the integration to query the external system */
      local!externalQuery: rule!GetUnsettledTransactionList(),

/* Handle the response depending on the outcome */
      if(
        local!externalQuery.success,
        /* If true, display a grid field with the response details */
        a!gridField(
            data: local!externalQuery.result
        ),
        a!textField(
            readOnly: true,
            value: "Error returning a response. Error details: " & local!externalQuery.error
        )
    )

Depending on the actual error code from the other system, you could also make your error handling a bit more specific. For example, if a 504 Gateway Timeout is returned (you can get the HTTP Status Code using <variable>.result.statusCode), then you could include a separate if() statement that specifically says something like "Response timed out, please try again later" and display it in a different text box instead of the grid.

• To add to the other responder, the best way to do this is to use an if statement with the integration response. So you could do something like this:

a!localVariables(
      /* Call the integration to query the external system */
      local!externalQuery: rule!GetUnsettledTransactionList(),

/* Handle the response depending on the outcome */
      if(
        local!externalQuery.success,
        /* If true, display a grid field with the response details */
        a!gridField(
            data: local!externalQuery.result
        ),
        a!textField(
            readOnly: true,
            value: "Error returning a response. Error details: " & local!externalQuery.error
        )
    )

Depending on the actual error code from the other system, you could also make your error handling a bit more specific. For example, if a 504 Gateway Timeout is returned (you can get the HTTP Status Code using <variable>.result.statusCode), then you could include a separate if() statement that specifically says something like "Response timed out, please try again later" and display it in a different text box instead of the grid.

Children
No Data