authentication issue with web API

Dear Team,

Hope you all are doing well and Happy NEw Year 2020 in advance.

I am new to web API objects in APPIAN and trying to develop one. Goal is to make data in one of my data store entity available to third party system outside APPIAN.

Here is what I did : Created a web API with GET 'Query Data Store' template and passed my data store entity in it. Created a http connected system with basic authentication usernam/password combo. Created third party credntials as well (not sure if this is required). Created integration object with basic authentication.

Now when I am hitting the URL in same session of chrome or test the API within API, I get expected data in JSON format 200 Ok. Eveything looks fine here but as soon as access the api URL from other machin or in other session of IE, I get following error :

{"resource":"\/suite\/webapi\/rpttr","error":"APNX-1-4187-000","message":"Authentication failed. Please check your credentials and try again.","title":"An Error Has Occurred"}

and when I am testing integration object : I get following error
"Appian was not able to authenticate with the username and password you provided. This request requires Basic authentication."

I know its a naive question but any help to sort this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Appian doesn't support authentication via the browser address bar right now.

Try accessing your Appian Web API object using a proper web client (e.g. SoapUI or POSTman) and make sure you authenticate preemptively with user name and password.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Robert Shankin

Hi Robert,

I have a similar issue with Web API Basic Authentication. I followed below steps for my use case:

1. Created an API  with a start process ,it's an xml POST method. So a header with Content-Type application/xml exists.

2. My third party system needs Basic authentication , so created an Appian user and added into Web API viewer groups .

When i run the URL generated from Web API wit some body in Appian it works but when i run in POSTMAN with username and password and header content -type , it is giving 404- Not Found Error, 

Anyone Please suggest what could be possible issues I'm doing here? 

Thanks in Advance.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Robert Shankin

Hi Robert,

I have a similar issue with Web API Basic Authentication. I followed below steps for my use case:

1. Created an API  with a start process ,it's an xml POST method. So a header with Content-Type application/xml exists.

2. My third party system needs Basic authentication , so created an Appian user and added into Web API viewer groups .

When i run the URL generated from Web API wit some body in Appian it works but when i run in POSTMAN with username and password and header content -type , it is giving 404- Not Found Error, 

Anyone Please suggest what could be possible issues I'm doing here? 

Thanks in Advance.

Children
No Data