Passing a context via external webpage when using Embedded UI

Hi All,

I do have a requirement to embed a UI in our customer portal and display some details based on the user context. 

We are able to successfully embed the UI, but the problem I am facing is that, a single user has one to many relationship to cases. (case is what we create for each user for the customer journey, a set of data identifiable via a unique case id).

When customer logged into the external customer facing webpage they will be working on a single case, and when we are going to render the embedded Appian UI, we need a way to identify the case the customer is working on at that moment. I am open to any suggestion.

(I already though of first display all cases related to the customer derived via logged in user and allow them to select one and proceed, but this is a very ugly way of designing it and not a very smoother user journey, and this can lead to a lot of issues as well)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • How do you know which case should be displayed? Is there some logic that you use (e.g. most recently opened case, case with the first ID, etc.)? I also can't tell - what are you showing in Embedded? Is it a record / report / task?

If you're showing a report, then you can probably set up all of your logic that determines what case to display right within the report interface. If you're dispalying a task or record, usually the best way to set this up is to create a web API that determines which task ID or record ID should be displayed to the user. Then, you can call the web API to return the result and insert the ID to return the corresponding page.

• Hi Peter,

At the moment, we are hoping we can embed a report, but we are open to suggestion to embed task or any other object. At the moment we need this report to receive the caseId from the customer webpage where the Appian UI is embedded in. The problem is we can not uniquely identify the caseId with in Appian just by looking at the user, we need to get the caseId passed from the webpage where the Appian UI is embedded. 

• Ok in that case I think your best option is probably to display a record or task. Using a report works well if the logic is only in Appian, but using a record or task makes it easier to use information from the web page to display data.

Could you set up a record that uses the same identfier caseId that is used in the webpage? If you do then it would be easy to just plug in the corresponding caseId. Even if they aren't the same ID, this is where you could set up a Web API that could be called and return the record ID given the case ID. There's a few examples of dynamic behavior in the Embedded Documentation.

• i have used related action to embed and passing the record identifier from the main page, luckily we use the caseId as record id in Appian hence there was no need to use a web API etc. thank you for your input Peter

Reply Children
No Data