Connect Community Edition Site to MySQL Instance running on localhost

Certified Lead Developer

Hello,

I am trying to set up a data source / connected system in my Community Edition Site. I am running a MySQL Server instance on localhost:3306, but my connection test fails. Am I even doing this right?

The username and password are correct, and My SQL says the server is running:

Do I have to host the server online to be able to connect? No technical background here, but I'm trying to get it. I would appreciate your help!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer

To be able to connect from an Appian instance to your database server, you would need a public static IP address this server is listening to. Then you need to use this address instead of "localhost". And in case you are not an experienced sys admin who knows how to set up a database server in a secure way, I suggest to not try that.

BTW, "localhost" is DNS name that typically resolves to the IP address 127.0.0.1 which is defined as "the local machine", not "your local machine". In Appian cloud this would be the server Appian runs on.

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer

To be able to connect from an Appian instance to your database server, you would need a public static IP address this server is listening to. Then you need to use this address instead of "localhost". And in case you are not an experienced sys admin who knows how to set up a database server in a secure way, I suggest to not try that.

BTW, "localhost" is DNS name that typically resolves to the IP address 127.0.0.1 which is defined as "the local machine", not "your local machine". In Appian cloud this would be the server Appian runs on.

Children