WSDL limitation

Certified Senior Developer

Hi all,

I was researching about publishing processes as web services in Appian and the use of WSDL, and I would like to know if there are any limitations in the definition of XSD types. In a schema defined in the WSDL, can one schema reference another schema within the same WSDL? Are there limitations with the data types?

Thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
    Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to David J (NTT DATA)

Okay, so if we wanted to use the 'call web service' smart service to consume a SOAP service, we might have some problems.

Reading the smart service Appian documentation, I see the following limitation:

WSDLs that utilize data types containing the following XSD constructs return an error if you attempt to to configure specific operations that use them.

• xsd:union
    • Choice Groups
    • Substitution Groups
    • Mixed Content

But I'm not sure if I understand what it refers to. I don't know if you could give me an example.

Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to alejandrov0003

The SOAP support in Appian is very basic, while SOAP became a bloody mess of a standard over time.

As I try to avoid SOAP, I do not have any examples at hand, but I am sure the internet has all the info you are looking for.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to alejandrov0003

That means that if you have a SOAP service , and need to generate your datatypes from the schemas included in the WSDL, you will probably have problems with the generation (if uses union, choice or mixed contents in the wsdl, or if you have more than 3 levels of nested schemas)

Anyway, you may generate your request with no datatypes, but that means that you will have to generate your request by hand, and won't have the validation when sending the message (but wil be made in the server)

On the other hand, not many wsdls contain this structure, and you can always modify the schemas by hand