Boundary in multipart form-data to HTTP Request

Hello, to perform a POST type integration in which I want to add a content type multipart/form-data to the body, I have to add the boundary field to the integration header, which I have seen that appian generates in the HTTP Request .

That value that is generated in the HTTP Request is --TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9--, and after testing in different environments and files, I have seen that it is always the same.

POST /api/myit-sb/content HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9
X-Requested-By: XMLHttpRequest
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="OP_ATP_DocPrueba.docx"
Content-Length: 12354
Host: aena-dev-restapi.onbmc.com
Connection: Keep-Alive
User-Agent: Appian
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

--TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="OP_Test_DocPrueba.docx"
Content-Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary

Binary content not shown for document, OP_Test_DocPrueba.docx (11.79 KB).
--TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9--

Can someone tell me how to capture the value --TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9-- in the HTTP Request or tell me if that value is always the same for Appian?

Thank you so much.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • The external system with which I want to communicate asks me to send the boundary in the header, in addition to creating the multipart request in the body.

Then I need to add capture the value of the boundary that is generated at the bottom of the HTTP request

--TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9
    Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="OP_Test_DocPrueba.docx"
    Content-Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary

Binary content not shown for document, OP_Test_DocPrueba.docx (11.79 KB).
    --TnQmfygKfP801A_kE1bGL-7YAFk_k6gl9--

and add it to the call header.

have you understood me now?

thank you so much!

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Stefan Helzle

Hello Stefan, the web service that we want to call has an input parameter that is the boundary, since the service is multipart, it asks you to indicate by parameter what the delimiting character is. The question that Borja has is how to object to that delimiting character that Appian automatically generates for multipart integrations, in order to be able to send it in the input parameter. We believe that appian always uses the same delimiter code, but we are not sure, if it is always the same, there are no problems, but if it is dynamic, we see no way to capture it.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Raúl Gómez Moya

OK. IMHO, that's a problematic API design. But sometimes you have to take what you get.

And I am not aware of a way to get or modify the used boundary string. I suggest to open a support case to try to get an answer from Appian.

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Stefan Helzle

Hi Stefan, we are almost sure that the delimiter string that appian uses does not change, so we can always use the same one. If we detect something new we will comment on it here