Hi All, I am trying to integrate Appian with Sharepoint 2013 with App

Hi All,

I am trying to integrate Appian with Sharepoint 2013 with Appian Connector functions only. In our setup we are using Sharepoint online office 365. I would like to understand if its possible to integrate Appian with Sharepoint 2013 online, if yes than what authentication mechanism to use.

Right now I have configured Third party credentials in Appian as shown in image attached. The credentials is one of my account which I am using to access the Sharepoint 2013 online. Second image shows the error I am getting while invoking a!shpInvoke connector function which clearly indicates that its not able to authenticate Appian request correctly. I dont have any knowledge on Sharepoint, please let me know what is required to be done in this case.

OriginalPostID-152258

OriginalPostID-152258

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Please find second image where I am invoking the connector function.

• this is an error given by sharepoint - couple of points.
    1. usePerUserCredentials value should be true to use the secure credentials store
    2. your uri may need to be prefixed with <your site>/<your collections>/_api/....
    3. here you are using a "GET", so fine, but you can not use rule expression for "POST" methods, "POST" methods works only with bind().
    try the following syntax to get list of files from a specific folder
    a!shpInvoke(
    scsExternalSystemKey: cons!SHAREPOINT_EXTERNAL_SYSTEM_KEY,
    usePerUserCredentials: true,
    hostname: cons!SHAREPOINT_HOSTNAME,
    port: 443,
    timeout: 1000,
    retries: 2,
    path: "<your site>/<your collections>/_api/Web/getfolderbyserverrelativeurl('" & local!folderName & "')/Files?$select=Name,ServerRelativeUrl,Level,Length",
    httpMethod:
    "GET",
    parameters: null
    )
  • Thanks for the reply Venkat.

I am using it in the expression just to test the connectivity, also the path is what would be possible <your site>/<your collections>/ value here. Through browser I am able to access the correct list entries by using the hostname + path only.

I have tried setting usePerUserCredentials to true but by doing its throwing attached errror. I am not sure in these things.

• Do we have any solution for this ? Is it possible to integrate Appian with Sharepoint Online if yes than please check my question above and provide the details.
  • Hi All,

For the people looking for an answer on the similar question. I was not able to configure Appian to work with Sharepoint Online. I have tried different domain names but none of them is working at all with Sharepoint online. Today I got one on premise installation of Sharepoint and it went smooth with it. I was able to configure Appian to access the Sharepoint custom list data through REST API through Appian Connectors and it worked fine with first try only.

I will now try to update the custom list and do further operations through connector functions in Sharepoint.

Regarding Sharepoint online I have checked through number of forums and found that there is some problem with authentication of user for APIs. As per my understanding NTLM authentication is problematic on Sharepoint online which I guess Appian uses internally, please correct me if anyone has any information on this.

I would love to see Appian connectors working with Sharepoint online even though now I am able to move forward with the on premise installation of Sharepoint.
  • Hi there, we are having the exact same problem, given that this post is 1,5 years old, has anyone succesfully integrated Appian cloud with Sharepoint Online? thank you