Appian - Sharepoint Online (Cloud) integration

am trying to integrate Appian with Sharepoint Online (Cloud) - Office 365.
I make use of Sharepoint Connector, but it seems that something goes wrong with the Authentication. I am following the instructions as noted on the product documentation (e.g. use third party credentials - Username, Password, Domain) and i get "UnauthorizedAccessException".
Is there anyone that overcame this issue (without a custom smart service implementation)?

*To mention that for a local sharepoint installation the connection is successful !

OriginalPostID-248086

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Arun Theja Muthyalu

Hi Arun,

You can follow below mentioned steps to identify / resolve this issue:

• Cross-Check your request headers such as Bearer while posting the data(POST, PUT etc..) to Sharepoint, and in order to use this header you will need an accessToken, which you can only obtain only upon the successful Authentication as it's response.
    • If you are able to Authenticate successfully but unable to receive the accessToken then i would recommend you to re-verify Authorization Endpoint, Access Token Endpoint, Client Id, Client Secret etc.. with the Sharepoint team, as i suspect your Token Request Endpoint URL, if all correct and still you are unable to receive a token upon successful authentication, try doing the same test using some Third-Party tools such as SOAP-UI and compare the response.
    • Also it's worth discussing with sharepoint team by sharing the Trace ID and the Correlation ID you have to identify the root cause from their end. 

Hope you will be able to trace out the root cause of this failure.

Children
  • Hi Alok, are you able to use the connected systems with oAuth2.0 on Sharepoint Online? We failed the last time we tried doing so. We are on v18.1c. Appian support told us the following:

"Our product team has investigated this integration pattern and found that Sharepoint Online uses a nonstandard implementation for its authentication. As such, the Sharepoint Online OAuth 2.0 authentication strategy is not compatible with the currently supported Appian OAuth 2.0 strategy.

Specifically, the product team found the following items:

- the resource parameter IS needed to be placed in the _body_ of the request, and Appian currently does not support arbitrary parameters being added to the body of the token request.

- the client ID must be in two different formats when it is first sent to the Authorization endpoint and then when it is sent to the Token endpoint. This is also not currently supported by Appian.

As such, I can raise a use case to have supported added for Sharepoint's particular authentication requirements, but the product does not support it at this stage. If you have the appropriate expertise on-site (or through a PS/partner engagement), its possible that you could perform the integration using a plugin."