Capturing relevant information from the body of emails sent to a process model

I'm trying to create a feature to allow users to communicate by email and have their communication tracked by Appian and stored in a database. However, I'm having a hard time capturing the meaningful information from the body of the email message. Email signatures and the content of emails earlier in the chain are also captured. Has anyone implemented a solution that does what I'm trying to accomplish?

For example, I tried sending an email with just the word "Testing" in the body, but striphtml(msg!body) returns all of this garbage, including my email signature:

Testing________________________________[cid:image001.jpg@01CC47C6.5B839AF0]John StrettonEDP Renewables North AmericaCorporate InitiativesAddress here, Houston, TX 77002Direct xxx.xxx.xxxxwww.edpr.comTake action. Use energy efficient products.This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If y...

OriginalPostID-257049

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Thanks for the additional screenshots and notes. Thinking about this scenario in another way, when you reply to an email via an email client, eg Outlook or Gmail, the reply includes the entire body of the previous messages.

The issue you are trying to circumvent becomes even more challenging on emails that contained replies to replies and so forth. If you were just capturing email from your own Organization, you may be able to add a marker at the Mail server level, possibly a hidden element that you could parse for. Of course, emails are files too, so you could look at parsing the file.. you will see the message broken into parts, though beware of the encoding and it would still be trial and error to get the right result.

Email source:
    ------=_Part_XXXX_2029803227.1484005359147
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <BODY CONTENT>
    ------=_Part_XXXX_2029803227.1484005359147--

This topic on Stackoverflow may help you:
    stackoverflow.com/.../strip-signatures-and-replies-from-emails
  • Thanks for the additional screenshots and notes. Thinking about this scenario in another way, when you reply to an email via an email client, eg Outlook or Gmail, the reply includes the entire body of the previous messages.

The issue you are trying to circumvent becomes even more challenging on emails that contained replies to replies and so forth. If you were just capturing email from your own Organization, you may be able to add a marker at the Mail server level, possibly a hidden element that you could parse for. Of course, emails are files too, so you could look at parsing the file.. you will see the message broken into parts, though beware of the encoding and it would still be trial and error to get the right result.

Email source:
    ------=_Part_XXXX_2029803227.1484005359147
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <BODY CONTENT>
    ------=_Part_XXXX_2029803227.1484005359147--

This topic on Stackoverflow may help you:
    stackoverflow.com/.../strip-signatures-and-replies-from-emails
Children
No Data