Best practices of data from form

Hello,

I would like to know what are the best practices to have the data from a form to be retrievable? 

I am not what the proper steps are where to have that data being written to... Data store, data type, record type...

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • This is a pretty generic topic, so there's a lot that could be said about this. Do you have a particular scenario in mind that we could help with or an issue that you are encountering? Also, if you are new to Appian, I'd highly recommend checking out Appian Academy. This site contains many videos and examples for how to set up data on forms.

At a high level though, the best way to capture data on a form is to (1) create a rule input for the data you want to save (2) add a component such as a text field and use the "saveInto" parameter to save a value into the rule input and (3) create a process and reference the form you created to capture the form data. Please let me know if there is a particular step you are struggling with.

• Hi Pete,

First of all, I love the training videos and I took a bunch already and you do an awesome job presenting them.

I think I have the form creation down and you did a great job explaining it, I am struggling with the create a process and reference the form created to capture the form data. After form is submitted where can I retrieve the data from the form?

I have about 10 years of Salesforce Admin experience and their database is kind of built on the fly and you can easily retrieve the data because it does get stored in their db... I am struggling with that concept in Appian to be honest with you. I know that there is a good learning curve with Appian.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to antoniom0004
    After form is submitted where can I retrieve the data from the form?

In general there are 2 different methods you should plan to use depending on the scenario.

1) use the data on a subsequent form within the same process instance: in this case you would only need to pass data out of the first form into process variables (pv!total, etc), and pass these values back into a subsequent form.

2) use the data later / in a separate process / in a record / on a report: before the process model ends, store the data in the database using the Write to Data Store Entity node.

In the real world you'll very commonly see both of these used together depending on the particular use case.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to antoniom0004
    After form is submitted where can I retrieve the data from the form?

In general there are 2 different methods you should plan to use depending on the scenario.

1) use the data on a subsequent form within the same process instance: in this case you would only need to pass data out of the first form into process variables (pv!total, etc), and pass these values back into a subsequent form.

2) use the data later / in a separate process / in a record / on a report: before the process model ends, store the data in the database using the Write to Data Store Entity node.

In the real world you'll very commonly see both of these used together depending on the particular use case.

Children