Cancel button on interface

Hi,

I saw a couple of posts on how to configure the cancel button in Appian, but it seems confusing to me on which one to follow. It seems that Appian considers "cancel" button in an interface as cancelling the whole process flow.

What I want to do is a simple close the interface without saving anything whenever the user fills out a start form but decide not to submit it - like close "editing". 

Can someone direct me on how to do this "close" I specified above?

Thanks,

Roberta

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

There isn't anything special about a "cancel" button that keeps you from doing what is needed in your case - it just happens to be that in general, a cancel button will end the current process flow / instance.  But otherwise the button can be labelled whatever you want, and do as much (or as little) extra data processing as needed.

In your case: what would the desired behavior be after the user closes the form?  Does the task just go away, go to someone else, reappear on their task list, etc?

• Hi Mike,

This is what I have in mind:

1) For the start form, the process would be just to end the flow without saving any information. - which I added a gateway and end event for "cancel". 

2) For the other user input forms, the process would be to "close" the form without saving any information and the task would just go back to the user's task list. - this one i am not sure how to proceed.

Thank you for your help.

Roberta

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to robertab0001

Gotcha - so for the second use case, you would just need to put an XOR gateway right after your user input task node, checking for the CLOSE button press.  If so, just loop back to the user input task, without enabling Activity Chaining (otherwise the user would just find themselves back on the form again).  Depending on how your data save is set up between the interface and the process model, you may or may not need to take an extra step either on the interface or in process, to revert the user's changes to the last version.

As an aside, I recommend giving the user a confirmation message warning them that they'll be losing any changed data, anytime a "close" or "cancel" click will cause data to be discarded.

• Thank you so much. I will add the confirmation message, it makes totally sense. :)

Reply Children
No Data