Show results of an expression rule on Tempo?

Certified Associate Developer

I have built and tested my first expression rule. I heard from a colleague that there is a simple way of displaying that as record, so I tried creating a new record object. My problem is now that I can only choose between data store entity, process model or expression. Am I barking the wrong tree?

My goal is to display filtered data on tempo in the simplest possible way, without using a process at all.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Florian

Could you elaborate a bit further on your use case? What is the source of the data that you want filtered and then displayed?

• Yes, a little more information would help. But you're in the right place for creating a record. You have to choose the source of the data for a record, and if you don't have a process -- it's likely that you'll want "Data Store Entity," which means that you're querying the data from a database. Is that the case? If so, you should first import the table structure through a CDT (and create a data store and data store entity at the same time). 

Our free trial (https://www.appian.com/platform/free-trial/) includes a records tutorial you can follow along with to build a record. Or, you can watch our course on records design at academy.appian.com. 

in reply to Stewart Burchell

I have the following expression rule and I would like exactly the output which shows in the preview of the rule shown under records (or if that is not possible somewhere else on the Tempo page).

a!queryEntity(
      entity: cons!myENTITY,
      query: a!query(
        selection:a!querySelection(
          columns:{
            a!queryColumn(field:"id"),
            a!queryColumn(field:"amount"),
            a!queryColumn(field:"currency"),
          }
        ),
        pagingInfo: a!pagingInfo(
          startIndex: 1,
          batchSize: 3,
          sort:a!sortInfo(
            field:"amount",
            ascending: false()
          )
        )
      ),
      fetchTotalCount: false
    ).data

My hope is that it does not depend on whether the entity comes from an Appian DB or from an external DB (ideally the latter).

in reply to kara.peeler

I entered details in the reply to the previous post. My question is more architectural than technical and I did not find that answer in the tutorials (yet).

My ultimate goal is to display only a subset of the respective source database Table somewhere on the Tempo page. I could of course build a new DB-View on the DB itself, but I was thinking that is architecturally cleverer to do it on Appian side as expression rule. I will need exactly the same subset later in my progress, that's why an expression rule looks like the correct approach to me.

What I am after is a way to preview my expression rule on the tempo page without using a process or interface. Is that possible at all?

• Hi Florian

So: since you have a connection to the datasource you could implement a Record Type using the 'Entity-backed' model (that would be the most direct approach to exposing your datasource as a set of Records in Tempo):

You can thine configure the 'list view'  of Records to just show the 3 columns that you've defined in your query entity (i.e. hide the other columns by explicitly not selecting them for display in the list). I'm sure there's a good reason for your batchSize being set to 3 but we'd have to find another way of expressing that logic so as to only display 3 out of however many records there actually are.

However: if your question is explicitly about how can I use the expression you've already defined to expose the results as records, then you could configure your Record type to use the 'Expressio-backed' model:

Then you can use your expression (modified to return a Datasubset). The documentation/tutorials should help you achieve this.