Records / Datastores / Tables

Greetings All,

I am new to Appian.  First I would like to thank Appian for creating the Community Edition.  Fabulous!!

I have been through various courses relating to records and database concepts.

I have experience with database design and I used the database tools to create three tables in the Appian schema with the necessary columns, primary keys and foreign key relationships.  I also manually populated some rows of data into these tables.

I created a new application.  I think I now have to create Records that refer or point to these physical tables?  Or do I need to create Datastores and then Records that refer to the Datastores?

I am happy to take a course that discusses these concepts, but I am having trouble finding information that ties the physical tables to objects that I would use in process models or with interfaces.

Thanks very much for any pointers!!

Paul

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Welcome to the community! I think the best approach is to create both record types and data stores to point to your tables. The easiest way to think about these is how you use them:

• The Record Type is used to display data. You can use the record type to show the results in a grid or a view into a single record item.
    • The Data Store is used to update data. So if you plan to make inserts / updates from Appian, you'll need a data store to connect to your tables.

Once you create these objects, you use them as a proxy for using data from the table. For example, if you'd like to insert a new row into a table, you say that the source you want to write to is your data store entity; for the opposite, if you'd like to create a grid that shows your records, you use the record type as the source for the grid component. This allows a layer of separation between the table itself and how you use it in Appian.

• Thanks Peter!!

And that makes sense to me.  But when I try to create a record or a datastore, I do not see the table that I created in the database designer as shown below.

I tried for both Records and Data Store.

I am sure I am missing the point somewhere with either the approach or the security or something!!

Thanks again for your help!!

Paul

My table structure here:

Creating a Record (or not)...

I do not see my table here...

So then try to create a Data Store:

Still cannot find anything that looks like my table.

• Thanks Peter!!

And that makes sense to me.  But when I try to create a record or a datastore, I do not see the table that I created in the database designer as shown below.

I tried for both Records and Data Store.

I am sure I am missing the point somewhere with either the approach or the security or something!!

Thanks again for your help!!

Paul

My table structure here:

Creating a Record (or not)...

I do not see my table here...

So then try to create a Data Store:

Still cannot find anything that looks like my table.

Children