How to redirect to a different Page on Site after submitting Form?

I have a form that a user can fill out and submit on a site but when they click submit it refreshes and they stay on the same page. I would like to know how can I redirect the user to the home page or the the record page to the summary view, which is on the same site.

I tried the code below below but it doesn't work, probably the wrong way to implement.

primaryButtons: {
          a!buttonWidget(
            label: "Submit",
            value: a!richTextItem(
              link: a!recordLink(
                recordType: 'recordType![MyRecordType],
                identifier: ri!GARP_Grant_Request.grantID,
                dashboard: "the url for the site record page",
              )
            ),

Thanks for any help the community can provide.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

This is not supported in Appian. The only work around is to enable chaining in process and show the user an interface with a link to click.

• Not even back to home page?

Thanks for response

• The paradigm is always the same - when you run a process you are always returned to the place at which you initiated the process. 

What is your use case for starting a process in, say, a Record's Summary page and being returned to, say, the Record List...or even the home page of a Site? Why do you NOT want to be returned to the same place you started? Wouldn't the User Experience be confusing if you couldn't be sure of where you'd end up at after the process completed?

• The record would have the information they just submitted so that they can view or see if there were any mistakes and edit it with a related action, whereas it refreshing onto the same page, sometimes they don't need to submit another form

• As others noted, standard functionality is to return to where you were when the process began.  For this reason, I'll sometimes display a confirmation form within the same edit process via chain from the Edit form, with navigation options such as below.  Note when the users click the Home Page link, the task for the process will remain in their queue so I typically implement something like a 15-30 minute orphan timer.

{
      a!richTextDisplayField(
        align: "CENTER",
        value: {
          char(13),
          a!richTextItem(
            text: "Your form has been submitted!",
            size: "LARGE",
            style: "STRONG"
          ),
          char(13),
          char(13),
        }
      ),
      a!columnsLayout(
        columns: {
          a!columnLayout(),
          a!columnLayout(
            contents: {
              a!cardLayout(
                style: "ACCENT",
                link:  a!submitLink( /* Close current process which will return to the start action */
                  value: "NEW",
                ),
                  a!richTextDisplayField(
                      a!richTextIcon(
                        icon: "plus",
                        size: "LARGE"
                      ),
                      char(13),
                      a!richTextItem(
                        text: "Submit a new request",
                        size: "MEDIUM",
                      ),
                      char(13),
                      char(13),
                    }
                  )
                }
              )
            }
          ),
          a!columnLayout(
              a!cardLayout(
                style: "ACCENT",
                link: {},/* a!safelink() to the app home page */
                  a!richTextDisplayField(
                      a!richTextIcon(
                        icon: "share",
                        size: "LARGE"
                      ),
                      char(13),
                      a!richTextItem(
                        text: "Process Home Page",
                      ),
                      char(13),
                      char(13),
                    }
                  )
                }
              )
            }
          ),
          a!columnLayout()
        }
      ),
      a!richTextDisplayField(
          char(13),
          a!richTextItem(
            text: a!richTextItem(
              text: "Thank you for using ",
              style: "EMPHASIS"
            ),
            style: "STRONG",
            color: "SECONDARY"
          ),
          a!richTextItem(
            text: a!richTextItem(
              text: "[this application]",
              style: "EMPHASIS"
            ),
            style: "STRONG",
            color: "ACCENT"
          )
        }
      )
    }

• I'm curious now Chris...what are your use cases for navigating to a different place from where you initiated a process? Human-System dialogue best practice is that "You ask the system to do something, it tells you it's done it" which is why I presume returning you to the place you left from gives you more opportunity to see the results of the process you just ran than by going elsewhere. For example; you're in a Customer Record. You run a process called "Update Customer Details". You change some details in a form and submit them. You're then returned to the Summary page where you can see your changes have been applied.

• I think it was probably the way my process start(or start location) on this page, which was why I didn't want to come back to it.

• Stewart - Definitely agree on your use case of editing a customer record where it makes sense to return to the specific record, I don't believe I have any type of "editing" Related Actions that offer different navigation when completed. 

My use case would typically be for a Site Action Page, if it was expected the user would typically only submit 1 request/process at a time.  Such as, a site for Device Requests (laptop, headsets, etc).  We may have a nice Report/Interface as the Home Page for the site with process details, contacts, etc, and a separate Action to submit a request. As the employee typically submits one request at a time, it would be cleaner if they are routed to the Home Page after submission than back to a fresh empty submit form. 

Similar example for, say, COVID-related submissions (exposure, testing), if an employee submits one, it is cleaner to return them to the site Home Page with HR details, contacts, etc rather than return to the submit form, since they will not need to immediately submit another.

The enhancement request would be (new feature request thread time?!), allow a configuration on the Site Action to select a different Site Page to return the user to after action completion.  I can really only see returning to the empty/new Site Action repeatedly for heads down workers in very specific roles - not anything I really even have a use case for in my environment.  

• Stewart - Definitely agree on your use case of editing a customer record where it makes sense to return to the specific record, I don't believe I have any type of "editing" Related Actions that offer different navigation when completed. 

My use case would typically be for a Site Action Page, if it was expected the user would typically only submit 1 request/process at a time.  Such as, a site for Device Requests (laptop, headsets, etc).  We may have a nice Report/Interface as the Home Page for the site with process details, contacts, etc, and a separate Action to submit a request. As the employee typically submits one request at a time, it would be cleaner if they are routed to the Home Page after submission than back to a fresh empty submit form. 

Similar example for, say, COVID-related submissions (exposure, testing), if an employee submits one, it is cleaner to return them to the site Home Page with HR details, contacts, etc rather than return to the submit form, since they will not need to immediately submit another.

The enhancement request would be (new feature request thread time?!), allow a configuration on the Site Action to select a different Site Page to return the user to after action completion.  I can really only see returning to the empty/new Site Action repeatedly for heads down workers in very specific roles - not anything I really even have a use case for in my environment.  

Children