Creating a record type with datasoruce Database

Certified Associate Developer

Hallo community,

I am fairly new to Appian but spent a fair share of time with training and playing around with different use cases.

Unfortunately I cannot get to understand how to correctly create a record type without the need to create a CDT and Datastore first.

Since I have to configure a datasource (in my case: Database) I identified two options:

Option 1 - Create a new table in the databsae

In the process of creating a data model of the  record type ("Tell us about your data"), I then select as datasource the newly created table

Option 2 - Create a CDT and Datastore first

Then again, in the process of creating a data model of the  record type ("Tell us about your data"), I then select as datasource the newly created table

Disadvantage: Once I create Actions for this Record type, CDT, Datastore and Data store entity are created new again and i Have duplicates in my application or completely ignore the wizard and configure the actions manually.

Is there any other way (besides choosing a different datasource like Salesforce or WebAPI) or recommended sequence in creating this record type?

Thank you for any hint.

Boris

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

My preferred way of working is to go CDT->DataStore->DB and let Appian do the schema management. As the automatically created actions and interfaces do never fit my requirements, I ignore this altogether.

• Hi, If you have to retain the naming convention for your tables in the Cloud Database, create a table in Database and reflect the same in Appian. You would have to choose CDT and select the option, "Create from existing database Table". In this way you can follow two naming conventions for Database and camel casing for CDT.

In Tell us About your Data, directly search for the table you created.

Certified Lead Developer

What I've found to be helpful is to create DB table, create XSD file, create CDT from that, add to Datastore, make Record, select the datastore, get seriously annoyed that Appian still insists on creating the datastore and the CDT all over again, change the datastore to an existing object (the datastore I already set up), go ahead and run the thing to create all my stuff and some things it doesn't need to.

Then I go into the PM it just made, trade out the CDT with a 1 on the end it insisted it had to make with the one I started with, and do the same for the interfaces and rules replacing all references to the duplicates with the originals until I can delete them.  It adds about 15 minutes of work each time I have to create a record action, but I think it actually saves me more than that to pre-build everything else I want it to pre-build.  If I could get it to stop making CDTs I don't need and give me the option to use an existing object like it does for so many other things, then it would save me even more work.