Career migration to Appian after 11 years in Sales / BD roles?

Hello all,

I have around 11 years of sales / BD work experience and I am thinking of migrating my career to Appian. With no exposure to coding / technical platforms, does this seem to be a wise decision? I am based out of India. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

In my experience, a successful Appian practitioner is half a developer and half a consultant. You will have to learn a lot to cover the technical aspects, but these are relatively easy compared to "real" programming. The other aspect is about advising your client in terms of methodologies and how to translate a business process into, well, an executable business process which is not run by people manually hacking into excel and email.

I just released my book about low-code with Appian which might help you getting around. But do not miss the Appian Academy, trainings and tutorials.

Certified Lead Developer

No harm ever in developing a skill.  All you ever get is wiser and more well-rounded.  You could get another job in sales that utilizes Appian, and gain experience in that role that leads you to more work related to Appian. 

Eventually, you say you've been on a few projects and done some Appian, the phone might not ever stop ringing.

Learn all you can, get a Community Edition, and make things.  A portfolio of quality work can go a long way, and your prior experience will always serve you well in Appian.

Best of fortunes to you.