So Simple...concatenate a custom data field (string) and another string field from the same table into a new custom data field.

All I really want to do is be able to create a filter on a read-only grid but it appears to only work on a filter associated with the record type.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • Thank for getting back to me.  I'm trying to concatenate 2 fields into one custom data field.  I tried a bunch of different things. I'm creating my own expression because none of the other options do what I need.  The first data field is on a related record.  The data-sync option doesn't allow me to get to a related record so I have to use the real-time methodology in order to reference the first field.  But then I'm limited to the CustomField functions and can't use the concat() function that you suggest because that's only available with data-sync.  If I attempt to use the "&" without the concat() function in real-time, Appian concatenates the field NAMES but not the data.

Next I tried to create a CustomField with just the related related record field...again in real-time. That worked. I then thought I would be able to use the data-sync option to do the concatenation when both fields are on the same record level. But when I attempt to use the format you suggested (rv!record...) the CustomField doesn't show up as a field name so that doesn't work either.

I seem to be in a Catch 22 scenario.

• I guess the function a!customFieldConcat() will perform the action you are looking for.
    This will be available in the Appian 23.1 release coming up on March, 3rd

• Good to know I wasn't altogether wrong in my approach!  Thank you!

• Yep the key thing to note is that as long as all your fields are on the same record type, you can use any function you want to - however, if you're using related fields, then you must use one of the custom field functions. In 22.4 the custom field functions support mathematical functions like Sum and Difference and logical functions, but like the other poster said we'll soon support concat in real-time custom fields too!

• As a follow up...I discovered I could actually accomplish this by setting up the concatenated column thru the grid configuration object itself using the fv!row[recordType!...] syntax. So I never had to do it thru the recordType after all! I LUV learning new stuff!  Slight smile  But it only comes with struggle!  Thanx again.