Trying to understand local/scoping of variables

Hi:

I was experimenting with the Grid example in Appian Tutorials (https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/23.1/Grid_Tutorial.html) and noticed that I had some rows with no firstName and LastName.  So, I thought I would use "fv!row.firstName" as part of the showWhen-attribute to prevent those rows from being show (see image below).  However, I am getting "scoping error" messages.  I know I can use query to filter out those rows but thought I would experiment with this approach because I have had issues with understanding local-variable scoping.  For example, when I use {} right after a!localVariables (), I get scoping error (see second image. 

Any responses to helping me understand local-variables/scoping would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ma

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to MaNa

Yes, if the requirement is that your form should show GPA and that the only rows which appear are those where it's non-blank, then the key is to filter your data in advance of feeding it into your grid.

If you're querying the data from the DB, then you would simply provide a query filter and filter out rows where that value is not populated.

If, on the other hand, you are passing the whole data set (with a mixture of rows) like as a process PV array, then you could instead create an on-form temp variable consisting only of the rows you'd like to display.  Something along the lines of, local!myTempArray: a!forEach(ri!myWholeArray, if(a!isNullOrEmpty(fv!item.GPA), {}, fv!item) within your local variables declaration.  Then you'd simply pass that local variable into the data parameter of your grid, and you'd be displaying only the rows which have a value populated here.

Children