Creating a child record from the parent record interface.

I have a Parent Summary interface that I want to add a record action button to that creates an entry in a child table. Adding the button is easy enough, however adding that button alone doesn't connect the Parent to the child when using the button. So what steps am I missing to make that connection?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Lots of detail is missing here.  What does the button "do"?  Generally a related action will launch a process model, but what have you configured / tried within this process model?  What information are you passing in?  At a minimum I'd hope you're already passing in the primary identifier information (in whatever form), though it's unclear what else you might be doing here to create the child (a user form? a fully automated process? something else?).

• The idea is simply for a user to be able to be looking at the Summary view of the parent record, click the button to create a child record, which would bring up the add interface for the child record, which has a field for the parent id field, which should be already populated with the parent id to make that connection. It sounds like getting that parent id to pull down to the child is set up in the process model?

• The idea is simply for a user to be able to be looking at the Summary view of the parent record, click the button to create a child record, which would bring up the add interface for the child record, which has a field for the parent id field, which should be already populated with the parent id to make that connection. It sounds like getting that parent id to pull down to the child is set up in the process model?

Children