Main difference between ‘write to entity’ and ‘write to records'

Certified Associate Developer

Hi all, I am new to the Appian.

I am created an interface with record type, add option and a process model to save the data in database.

Created process model with the options ‘write to entity’ and ‘write to records. Below is my understanding.

1. Enable activity chaining is refreshing record type data in both the options.
  2. Rule input for interface can be created by using CDT. This will work only for ‘write to entity’.
  3. ‘Write to entity’ and ‘Write to record’ both are same. ‘Write to record’ is the latest one and ‘Write to entity’ is the legacy approach.

Please confirm is there any other main difference.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

1) Yes and no. Activity chaining delays the UI refresh up to the end of the chain. It has no direct relationship to "refreshing record type data". And some UI components can be configured to refresh automatically using the refreshAfter parameter.

2) True

3) I would say, they are similar. Data store entities are a more direct connection to the database, and Records add another level of abstraction providing a bunch of extremely nice features. I try to shift my work to Records only.

Certified Lead Developer

1) Yes and no. Activity chaining delays the UI refresh up to the end of the chain. It has no direct relationship to "refreshing record type data". And some UI components can be configured to refresh automatically using the refreshAfter parameter.

2) True

3) I would say, they are similar. Data store entities are a more direct connection to the database, and Records add another level of abstraction providing a bunch of extremely nice features. I try to shift my work to Records only.

Children