How to catch error in a running process model?

We what to catch errors in a running process model, save the error in DB.

We also want to know when the PM halts, save something to DB, too.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

When a node in a process fails, that process stops and an email is sent according to the alert settings in the model. That's all you can do.

In this blog post I describe how you can setup a working support model for Appian applications.

appian.rocks/.../

Certified Lead Developer

Hi Liang,

I have provided a solution to a similar error monitoring problem here:  Process Instance errors 

I believe the same plug in can be used to address your issue. You can use the associated smart services to query which processes have nodes that have an error. You can then capture the process instance and node information and then save to DB if required. BUT there isn't functionality as yet to save the exact error message. 

We have a similar use case in our application. We use the plug in functionality to produce a report for developers which shows process models with outstanding errors (after we automatically retry the process models 5 times to address DB connection drop issues).

I hope this helps - please see the other discussion post I've linked for further information.

Certified Lead Developer

Here is some work around:

- Create parallel process flow for error, which starts with the timer.

- Setup timer which is more than the time required by the primary flow. Ex. the primary flow needs 5 min to complete, setup timer to 1hr etc. 

- For any reason the primary flow halts due to an error, the timer flow will get triggers after the predefined time. 

- Capture PV values and store to DB or send to email as suitable.

- Incase when the primary flow completes without any error, the timer flow will not get triggered.