Can we set any authentication for external users through portal.?

Certified Senior Developer

I have a use case where external users access application through portal. But I need to restrict users means based on logged in user from a specific group only access to that particular page but I don’t want to add those users into Appian environment. Is it possible in Appian? If yes, how can external user logged in without adding a member in Appian environment?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • Could be this approach an option?

1.- Create an integration in Appian that receives user and passowrd as parameters, and check if are valid credentials in the external systems

2.-Expose that integration via Web api (in that way you can use it from portals)

3.-Receive user and password as parameters in the url and check user existance via the web api exposed.

4.According to the response, grant access to the user or not.

• I would recommend confidently against this approach, for two reasons:

1. Any time you replicate authentication behavior using low-code tools, you're likely to introduce security issues. Systems that handle passwords have unique security requirements and passwords should not be passed through Appian integration rules.

2. Because you're using this approach to create authentication for a portal, you are likely to be in violation of portal license terms. As a member of Appian's Product team I cannot provide a definitive answer on whether a given app design pattern is compliant with our licensing terms, but if you're considering this pattern I would recommend working through your account team for a more authoritative answer.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to John Rogers

I agree with you John, technically it's possible (and the answer was about that) , but it's not the best approach for the problem, because of security and license terms