Maintain URL Parameter Across Multiple Pages

Certified Associate Developer

I have a portal that is reached by scanning a QR code and takes 1 url parameter and passes it into the initial page where the user can fill out some data. However, if the user navigates away from that page to another page on the portal, and then comes back, the rule input is blank and the url parameter has also been lost. Is there a way to save the user's data so they don't lose it when they navigate back, or at least a way to preserve the url parameter between pages so it can be passed back in to the form?

Thank you,

Jack

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Shivika Vashisht

Shivika,

No, I was not able to resolve this issue. While I was able to use the plugin I mentioned above ("Preserving the State of Navigation/Selection") successfully in the portal via a web API ( I believe this is a new feature of 24.1 based on the release notes) there is no way to uniquely identify a user or portal instance in Appian currently.

A work around that should work, although I haven't implemented it yet, would be to have only one page on the portal containing one "master" interface with a rule input that the url parameter is passed into. Then create your own tab system within that interface to call sub-interfaces that can be passed that rule input.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Jack Ferguson
    A work around that should work, although I haven't implemented it yet, would be to have only one page on the portal containing one "master" interface with a rule input that the url parameter is passed into. Then create your own tab system within that interface to call sub-interfaces that can be passed that rule input.

This is exactly what I would do.

I think that the use case for a user clicking a personalized link, is to guide the user through a very streamlined process, but not to allow free navigation.

So you could just have two portals. One for free navigation, and the other to support that straight process for which the user needs that special link.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Stefan Helzle

Thanks   and  , we are also inclining towards having one page though our requirement is for a site instead of portal. But one page would definitely help in maintaining the URL parameter.