I need help setting a constant in a process

I have a process model that is running just fine. But I want to fetch the results from the PM for later use via a web API. I am new to Appian and I am having some problems:

1) I tried access the results of the process but could not query it out due to the process being inactive. It is a very short process model. Is there a way to access the results of a process which has terminated?

2) Since web calls are asynchronous I get back empty results from mapping the data outputs. So I decided to use a constant.

3) I've been trying to set a constant but the examples in the documentation are a bit terse. Can anyone give me better examples?

4) Web Services are a problem as I have custom data types and apparently webservices do not allow you to use them.

What would be a good approach to get the results from a process model so the outside users can use a simple lightweight JSON GET to retrieve the results for use in other applications.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Pedro,

In response to your first question, you can create process reports that report on terminated processes; all you have to do is edit the process report, navigate to the "filters" tab of the dialog box, and uncheck the "active" box. You will only be able to see data from unarchived processes, however, so check when the processes are archived by opening the process model properties and navigating to the "Data Management" tab. You can change the archival period there.

In general, though, you will want to avoid waiting too long to archive most processes, as it will eat memory. So, if you will need to access the results of that process much later, you will want to write the results to the database as Colton mentions above. Realistically if it is meant to be accessed across multiple applications it's probably best to write it to the database anyway, but you can do it through process reporting if necessary.

Thanks,
    Nino
  • I need to make this value public via an API, not a UI. I have no access to the DB due to security restrictions. And writing the ephemeral result of a transient process to the DB seems like a heavyweight and rather odd situation.
Reply Children
No Data