Document Generation

Hi guys,

I am having an error related do Word doc Generation which is the following:

But this erros is not specifing what is the real problem. If it's regarding the inputs i am giving to the node but i think is not the case:

In the log it's giving the same error and no more information: Cannot merge template. This error is happening in production environment, and in a pre-production environments it is not happening.

Does this happened to any one? what is the best approach to solve this error?

Thanks.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • WIthout knowing the smart service you're using, it appears that the underlying process uses MS Office  "Mail Merge" functionality.  Here is how I've seen this function fail in the past:

- The values of your AC's contain invalid characters for a mail merge.  This would explain why this node fails sometimes in production, but not in pre-production.  To resolve, try to reproduce in lower environments by using better sample data in the lower environments, or by getting creative with test data.

- If you're using Advanced Document Template shared component, the XML values contain invalid characters that need to be escaped [1]

- The template itself is in a certain charset.  One of your users may have copy/pasted data from (e.g.) a website or document that contains characters (emojis or non-Greek alphabet) of a different charset.  This is usually language-specific but can be resolved by changing the charset of the template.  The only way to figure this out is to get the raw data from the production process/pv's (which isn't always possible) [2].

- The template expects a field's value to be non-null (such as table generation) and your data is null rather than blank ("")

- The template expects a field to exist, but the tags within the data are not present (i.e. you're missing an input - unlikely in your case)

[1] xml.silmaril.ie/specials.html

[2] https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Choose-text-encoding-when-you-open-and-save-files-60d59c21-88b5-4006-831c-d536d42fd861

• WIthout knowing the smart service you're using, it appears that the underlying process uses MS Office  "Mail Merge" functionality.  Here is how I've seen this function fail in the past:

- The values of your AC's contain invalid characters for a mail merge.  This would explain why this node fails sometimes in production, but not in pre-production.  To resolve, try to reproduce in lower environments by using better sample data in the lower environments, or by getting creative with test data.

- If you're using Advanced Document Template shared component, the XML values contain invalid characters that need to be escaped [1]

- The template itself is in a certain charset.  One of your users may have copy/pasted data from (e.g.) a website or document that contains characters (emojis or non-Greek alphabet) of a different charset.  This is usually language-specific but can be resolved by changing the charset of the template.  The only way to figure this out is to get the raw data from the production process/pv's (which isn't always possible) [2].

- The template expects a field's value to be non-null (such as table generation) and your data is null rather than blank ("")

- The template expects a field to exist, but the tags within the data are not present (i.e. you're missing an input - unlikely in your case)

[1] xml.silmaril.ie/specials.html

[2] https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Choose-text-encoding-when-you-open-and-save-files-60d59c21-88b5-4006-831c-d536d42fd861

Children