Tasks Disappearing after Escalation

Certified Senior Developer

We've seen at least 2 occurrences where a user's task has disappeared before being completed. In the most recent case (yesterday), a task was assigned to a user but was not completed within the timeline associated with the escalation configured on this node. The user received an email after 4 days; then another user received one after 7 days alerting him of the incomplete task. Over a month has gone by since that last alert was received and the user realized the task hadn't been completed so he tried to find it and it was no longer displayed in his queue. I opened the process and there were no errors. The process was stalled on this node (task assigned to this user). I was able to resolve the situation by 'viewing the form' and reassigning it to the user (group), at which time it displayed in his task list and he was able to complete the task.  Is there some sort of deadline associated with uncompleted tasks (perhaps those that have escalations) that removes them from the users' task list? I can't figure out why it disappeared. I read one case where this happened when the process was 'edited' and the task disappeared, but I don't believe this was the case.  I did not document what happened the first time we saw this occur but I believe I just restarted the node and then canceled the outstanding task. Viewing the form and reassigning it seemed to work better - but still curious as to why it occurred in the first place. Any suggestions on what may have caused this?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • If you are sure that no other exception or deadline set then debug the instance. Monitor the process and look into task information. If this is not production, just re- test with changing the escalation time in edit mode and observe what happens after escalation alert triggered. If production environment, reproduce in Dev.
    in reply to Amit Mishra
    Thanks Amit. Unfortunately, this is in Production and we haven't been able to reproduce in DEV but I'm going to try again. The workaround for this is to go into the task via Process Details and accept the task (as an administrator) and then reassign it back to the user/group to whom it was originally assigned.
    in reply to judym598
    This literally just happened again - actually what happened was, we had an administrator accept 2 tasks and reassign them back to the group that needs to complete them. On the process details page for these tasks, it shows that they were assigned to a particular group. However, the individual (only one in the group) who should see these 2 tasks only saw one of them. We had our administrator accept the other one again and reassign it specifically to the individual user (not the group). Only then was he able to see the task. I've tried to recreate this in our DEV environment - started a new process and purposely didn't complete it...got multiple alerts...tried accepting it; closing it without completing it...after more than a month - the task is still there. I can't seem to replicate it.
    in reply to judym598
    This literally just happened again - actually what happened was, we had an administrator accept 2 tasks and reassign them back to the group that needs to complete them. On the process details page for these tasks, it shows that they were assigned to a particular group. However, the individual (only one in the group) who should see these 2 tasks only saw one of them. We had our administrator accept the other one again and reassign it specifically to the individual user (not the group). Only then was he able to see the task. I've tried to recreate this in our DEV environment - started a new process and purposely didn't complete it...got multiple alerts...tried accepting it; closing it without completing it...after more than a month - the task is still there. I can't seem to replicate it.
Children
No Data