Appian version manager not working as expeced.

I am trying to use Appian version manager as given in Appian documentation.

https://community.appian.com/w/the-appian-playbook/198/deployment-automation#Automated_Versioning_Manager

I am trying to use -action as addContents and it is giving me an error as below

"java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error: the Zip file cannot be committed to the respository. The Zip file contains one or more application XML file and version toool has been invoked with paramameter -UUID signaling it should be patch"

I am using below command and also updated attributes/parameter in version-manager.properties file.

version-application.bat  -action addContents -vc_username (VC_USERNAME) -vc_password (VC_PASSWORD) -application_path "C:\\Users\\43987901\\Downloads\\Country Flag Icons.zip" -commit_message “Commit by@439879

below are parameter defined in version-manager.properties as well.

action=addContents

commitMessage="Commit by@439879"

localRepoPath=C:\\Developer_Appian

repoUrl=https://alm-github.uk.hsbc/HSBC-GST/Developer_Appian

uuid=_a-0000de51-e49e-8000-9ba2-011c48011c48_16348

vcPassword=GIT_Username

vcUsername=GIT_password

versionControlType=GIT
repoUrl=https://alm-github.systems.uk.hsbc/HSBC-GST/Developer_Appian

Can anyone please let me know probably cause for the above error....

Thanks in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Thanks again bradc, i have been tried to work by creating a branch for each of application in an Appian. but i found it bit difficult too. so, i am now trying to work like your way by creating seperate respositories.
    Now, i just want to understand that, do i need to create a branch in each respository for each of sprint or for each day where by each developer will update their work on? and then we have to remember first Hash comment and last comment to create a deployment patch out of it?
  • I think at this point it's up to your preference on how to manage branches. In my organization, we have a "development" branch where each developer branches from. When we have committed all our changes for a sprint and completed our unit testing, we will push our personal branch back to the development branch. This development branch is what is pushed to UA/prod when ready.

Regarding your start & end hashes - these are optional. We use a start hash in our builds, which is the final commit to the development branch from the prior sprint. Keep in mind the start hash used is NOT included in the build. We have not yet had a scenario where the end hash was necessary because we've always wanted to use all commits. If you are trying to create a build in a range of commits, you would use an end hash.
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to bradc
    Hi Bradc, hope you are doing well, i am getting error when using version-application.bat for commiting .sql files "Source file doesnt exist". in .properties file, i am keeping ddlPath=C:\\Users\\43987901\\Downloads\\241_sql.sql and ddlDs=java:/jdbc/Appian, like this and running verion.bat file. can you please suggest what changes do i need to make for commiting .sql in repository? I have also tried ddlPath with sigle balck slash (\) with no luck.
  • Hello - I have actually not used the DDL feature myself as we handle all scripts via post-deployment scripting in our Visual Studio solution rather than Appian.

Have you tried formatting your syntax differently?  I would try:

-ddl_path "C:\\Users\\43987901\\Downloads\\241_sql.sql" -ddl_ds "java:/jdbc/Appian"

A Score Level 1
    in reply to bradc
    Thank you for prompt reply bradc, I have just tried opposite of what you have suggested and removed double quitos(") from both locations -ddl_path and -ddl_ds and it works. Thank you agian for your timely help.
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to viishweshs
    Hi bradc, hope you are doing good.
    Now, i am successfully creating patch from version-manager.bat file on my local machine using below command.
    Version-application.bat -action buildPackage -vc_username 439879 -end_hash e60799a
    But basically iwant these patch getting created in GitHub instead of my local machine and so, i have tried with passing github URL in 'packagePath' parameter. I got "Syntax incorect" java error.
    Are there any way whereby we can create a patch on GitHub and from there we can deploy the patch into some higher environments using deploy-application.bat script ....please suggest any idea you have in this regard. I wanted to take all these process run through Jenkins and trying for the same.
    A Score Level 1
    in reply to viishweshs
    Hi bradc, hope you are doing good.
    Now, i am successfully creating patch from version-manager.bat file on my local machine using below command.
    Version-application.bat -action buildPackage -vc_username 439879 -end_hash e60799a
    But basically iwant these patch getting created in GitHub instead of my local machine and so, i have tried with passing github URL in 'packagePath' parameter. I got "Syntax incorect" java error.
    Are there any way whereby we can create a patch on GitHub and from there we can deploy the patch into some higher environments using deploy-application.bat script ....please suggest any idea you have in this regard. I wanted to take all these process run through Jenkins and trying for the same.
Children
No Data