How to automate clearing or cancelling of the processes which stopped with errors?

Hi,

Can someone help me in letting me know automating the processes clearance which has stopped with problems. The process which we have built are synchronized processes (short-lived), so there is no manual intervention of resuming the process if it stopped with errors. So in this case all the processes stopped with errors are still in the system and it is not cleared, the only way we found to clear the error processes is to manually cancel it or delete it.

Please suggest a way to Cancel a process automatically if the process stops with errors.

Regards,

Balaji.R

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hello,
    I am agree with the Robert Shankin and also you can use the exception handling to terminate the process. You can use the timer event for that particular nodes who can give the error and on that by adding exception timer , you can terminate the process.
    Thanks
    Sahil Batra
  • Hi  - 

Please reconsider your suggestions here, in light of the following:

First, look at figure 1.
    I've extended the example process that I shared previously.
    This now includes a 1 minute exception timer in the task that fails.
    Simultaneously, I've changed the timer event in the timeout lane to 5 minutes.

> figure 1

Next, look at figure 2.
    This shows the same process after 5 minutes.
    The write to data store task exception time never fired. 
    This is because, the previous state of the task was "problem with task", and the timer never started.
    If the Timeout lane timer didn't exist, this process would live indefinitely until manually stopped.

> figure 2

Now, look at figure 3, and Consider unexpected outcomes. 
    In this case, a task that is typically reliable, (the script task), fails.
    Without a dedicated timeout timer, set to fire based on a "safe" interval" your process will just "hang".

>figure 3

Finally
    , consider whether or not addressing symptoms rather than causes effectively suits the business need.
    For example, is it really in the best interest of the product owner to systematically terminate error-prone processes?  Or, would it be more beneficial to understand the root-cause of the errors and resolve that?

• Hi Robert Shankin,

Thanks for your detailed explanation, I agree with your point on having timer event though we define exception timer on the specific node which helps in terminating the process if the process failed due to node which doesnt have a exception timer defined with it.

Regards,
    Balaji.R
  • Hello Robert,

Apologies for late reply, Yes your approach is very good. But I am having a scenario :- if we are having a UI which is allowed to be in green state for long time then that we mentioned in the timer event, Only for that scenario we can only give timer to particular nodes. If for this scenario You are having any other approach please share that will be helpful for us. Thanks in advance
  • Hello Robert,

Apologies for late reply, Yes your approach is very good. But I am having a scenario :- if we are having a UI which is allowed to be in green state for long time then that we mentioned in the timer event, Only for that scenario we can only give timer to particular nodes. If for this scenario You are having any other approach please share that will be helpful for us. Thanks in advance
Children