Starting a Process from a SAIL interface and chaining

Certified Associate Developer

Hello There,

I have a SAIL form with a button that starts a small process model via a!startProcess().  This model is set to chain from start to finish however the button is returning the "onSuccess" condition before the process instance completes. 

However, when I use the exact same parameters on a SAIL form with a!startProcessLink (ie: same values for the ProcessModel and Parameters arguments) the process instance chains as expected and does not return until the instance is complete.

I am depending on this background process to update data and then fetching the updated results on the SAIL form inside a with()

Is this discrepancy the expected behavior? 

A couple notes:

• The documentation says that both calls should respect process chaining
  • We are running on 18.1 however there is no mention of a related bug in any of the subsequent release notes (18.2 or the hotfixes)

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
    in reply to chandu
    > Could you please let us know your detailed requirement? we will try to suggest the possible approaches.

There is a Record view that displays data and I'm trying to offer an inline method of updating the data. The update in question requires more than I can achieve using just saveInto so I externalized the update into a process model.

I realize I can achieve the same thing using a related action but the UX of doing this feels extremely clunky and is something I am aiming to avoid.

As I mentioned in my original post, using a link (ie: a!startProcessLink) works as expected - I'm just trying to figure out why startProcessLink and startProcess work differently.
Children
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to Jin Pheh

In the documentation they clearly mentioned the point like,

If a chained flow encounters an attended activity, the activity will be assigned to the user that the Start Process smart service was run as, but it will not open the associated form.

The start process link is introduced in latest version of Appian, I could not remember which version of Appian they have introduced. But I believe the a!startProcess is available before a!startProcessLink. They come up with the functionality where the user can trigger a process from SAIL with chained forms.

in reply to chandu
    > If a chained flow encounters an attended activity, the activity will be assigned to the user that the Start Process smart service was run as, but it will not open the associated form.

While accurate this doesn't apply in my situation - I'm running a headless (unattended) process so this doesn't matter.