Terminate Process node does not terminate timer

Certified Lead Developer

We have a process that has a timer going for 30 seconds in a branched flow.  If the primary branch completes first it hits a terminate node that's expected to cancel the timer midway through, and that's exactly what it does in every instance, unless it's on our production environment.

On our production environment only, we're seeing the terminate node fire, then the timer finish a little under 30 seconds later, script tasks after it also complete without any problems, and finally and end node not set to terminate.  Since that's the only other one in the process model, it completes the process again and we see two outbound flows in the parent process.

I see other issues with sub-processes behaving strangely when the parent process is terminated.  This is not what's happening.  The terminate node and the timer are on the SAME process model.  What in the world could keep the timer active after the process it's in has been terminated?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi,
    Here are 2 trail & error methods which you can try:
    1. Remove activity chaining into the terminate nodes at both levels if any. If your use cases demands for an activity chain see for other options below.
    2. See if you can add an extra UI task say for example Review & Confirmation to hold for a while, so there will not be 2 nodes triggering at the same time when the sub process closes.
    3. Have the timer route to an XOR after you set a flag before you terminate the process. If the flag is satisfied then go to a terminate/ end node, if not execute the normal exception flow.
    Hope, this helps.

Thanks.
  • Hi,

This looks like a weird issue. I think issue can be with terminate event instead of timer. Because you are saying,
    1. Timer is active even after terminate event is reached
    2. Sub-Processes behaving strangely when the parent process is terminated
    Is it possible to check and re-configure the terminate event and re-publish process model?

If issue is already resolved, could you please let us know what actually issue was?
    Thanks.
    Certified Lead Developer
    Can you try to check the process history to identify the sequence of execution of nodes. if anything else is triggering the timer node or any part of the process you can see that in process history. also check terminate is the last entry in process history
    Certified Senior Developer
    I would also suggest taking a look at the process history to be sure. Seeing anything come after a terminate process node in the history seems like a very strange issue.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to charlesm492

Going through Process Nodes I can verify based on completion times that the Timer started first, then Terminate Process node ran, then the timer finished. Then those things which follow the timer all took place, and the last entry is the regular end event about 35 seconds after the Terminate Process.

To my knowledge this is only happening on our production environment.