starting a particular instance

Hi All,

Can i start a particular node and particular process instance from any external click (i.e from interface ) ?? 

Thanks,

Bhargavi 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Bhargavi,

One way to do this without Send/Receive Messages, is using combination of a!startProcess and Get and Set Process Variables Smart Service. To start a node, when the value of a pv changes to desired.

The actual process model that needs to be started, should have a rule event,just before the node you want to start. Have a condition, using a pv, for ex : pv!startNode = true. Make the pv!startNode =false initially.

Create a process model that takes process instance id and process variable as input and uses Get and Set Process Variables Smart Service to set the PV. In this case to set pv!startNode = true.

And on the button click of the interface, call this process model using a!startProcess and pass the process instance id and pv!startNode value . And this process would set the pv and start the node.

Hope this helps. Lets see if other practitioners have better ideas.
  • Hi , i can do in both the ways where i can start particular instance using send and receive messages with instance id, and other way what you told but which would be better way ?
Reply Children
  • Hi Bhargavi,

I would need to understand your process to suggest what is better.

Option 1: If its okay, split the Main Process Model, put the nodes that need to be started in a separate sub process and call that process using a!start process, on interface . Refer the community.appian.com/.../creating-flexible-processes as suggested by Robert to understand the design.

Option 2: If you need the main process to be active for the whole time until all these are done, use Set PV method, you can also use IFM Manager to set the PV, instead of Set/Get PV, to update the process variable.

Avoid using Send/Receive Messages, when you have alternatives. Hope this helps.