Process to Process Escalation

I am trying to escalate a task when it is idle for 90 days 

During escalation i use

• Send message Event and select Mapping Destinations as the other escalation process model. 

I didnt provide any values in DestinationProcessID since i dont know the runtime process ID of the escalation process model. 

somehow my escalation is not triggering the escalation workflow  

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Appian Employee
    in reply to Wa00786

This is not correct - you should provide both the process model (by selecting the appropriate model) and the process ID to identify which process model to send to. If you do not define a process ID, Appian will assume you want to send the message to all active processes for that model, which can have a negative impact on performance.

Like Stewart said though, I would also recommend using escalations directly on the node rather than configuring a process-to-process message.

• I think the in-built escalation feature will not be a good fit for customised alert template.

Also from the above explanation. The processDestinationId needs a process model id instead of a process id since the process will trigger on receiving message and we will not have a process id.

• This is where a little lateral thinking can help.

In the Task that you want monitored you can add an escalation that sends a message. In the very same process you can have a Receive Message "listener" node that can be triggered by the Send Message form the escalation. This can then transition to, say, a Send Email node where you can then generate a customised alert. In short: your process can send a message to itself!

Note that:

1. you have native access to the process instance id (pp!id) so the Send message will be targeted to only the same instance of the process and thereby avoid the issue that  is calling out
    2. you can have multiple escalations on the Task of the same or different types, and you can also have different escalations triggered at the same time,. So you could still take advantage of the in-built escalations patterns (e.g. raise the priority of the Task, Re-assign the Task) and you can send a Message Event as described above
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Wa00786

My typical recommendation is to stay with the OOTB notification function.

The issue here is expectation setting. When you start to customize this in one app, your client wants this for any app. And the route of trying to customize Appian default behaviour can end in extremely ugly and hard to maintain apps.

• Thank you Peter and Stewart for the suggestions. Much Appreciated.

I agree with Stefan, Even on the Documentation somewhere I have read that on Escalation>Starting Process via message is going to be deprecated in future release. 

And on second thought, we can achieve it by having a parallel flow on Task assignment which will wait on a timer and task status condition and trigger the Send Email customized Alert to the recipients.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Wa00786

I meant something different. Try to stay with the OOTB task notification and escalation email.