Export CDT to excel

I have a report where I need to add filters and a link to download the report as excel through a link...Have an interface and started the process through that interface ,used export cdt to excel smart service..But Iam unable to create the document...Getting activity class exception error

Can anyone help me out

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer

Hi are there any specific reason why you didn't opt for "Export Data Store Entity to Excel" OOTB smart Service?

I would recommend to use "Export Data Store Entity to Excel" smart service, as it's an OOTB Smart Service, provides better performance, simple to use and provides several configurable options via it's Input Parameters.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to aloks0189

Export DSE to Excel doesn't come anywhere close to being a sufficient replacement for Export CDT to Excel (or Export SQL to Excel), in my experience.

Virtually all of the excel reports I generate for my customer projects have had several requirements that the new OOTB smart service simply ignores for whatever reason.

Primarily, in all cases I need to use a template with certain pre-set formatting.  This includes named columns with pre-enabled filters, and column sizes specified in-template.  I've experimented with the Export DSE to Excel smart service and it doesn't inherently accept a template at all, and even if you force it to (by overwriting a new copy of the stored template), it throws away any such formatting that's been added in advance.

Further, with Export CDT to Excel, I was able to query the requisite data in-process then transform it using in-Appian functionality prior to exporting to Excel.  Take for example a database table that stores the Appian document ID, but i want my excel to list the actual filenames.  Or a database table that holds bare usernames, but the generated Excel should contain the Full Name of the user for each line.  Or a certain pre-specified date/time formatting that's not what the DB would spit out on its own.  None of these things are possible at all in Export DSE to Excel as far as I can tell.

Rahul's wording was slightly unclear to me, but I suspect maybe what he was trying to get at when he mentioned "filtering" is similar to what I've described - i.e. the generated Excel file has filtering automatically added on columns for the end users to use.

If you have any insights into how to accomplish the use case(s) I've outlined above, I'd very much appreciate some pointers, because I'd love to be able to use the OOTB smart service, especially since it automatically handles paging issues and so forth.  But so far it's basically unusable to me.

• Yea I need to rename the column names so this Export CDT to Excel smart service worked for me...

Thanks for ur reply

• Hey

I can retrieve the filtered data from report and export to exel in dev environment but in test envt export to excel shows all the data other than the filtered data in excel sheet.... it fails

Plz help me out

Reply Children
No Data