Exception Flow to skip Node (not working)

Hi Team,

I am having a tough time to figure out the actual use of exception flows. Let me give my scenario ,Version is 18.4 ,i have got Send Email smart service ;now it fails due to some issues in email address or something like that. Process breaks with a read break on the Send Email smart service. Now I have put an exception flow to skip the node after 3 minutes. I have tried both ways "Skip this Node after xx mins" and "Skip this node at a time".

But both are not yielding any results.

Process still remains in active state and exception flow is not getting executing ; please let me know what is missing here.

Thanks,

George Jacob

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

If a particular node break (has the red line), it will stop working (meaning the exception flow will not work). You should really work to fix that error, meaning send email should not break (account for nulls, check email types, etc.), but if there is an integration or something that could, put it in a sub process and put an exception flow on the exception to fire before the timeout of the node.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks for clarifying ,now coming back to scenario,yes exception flow is not going to help me.I would like to have some solution by which I can gracefully terminate the process even if the Send Email breaks.. One solution we have is to kick a parallel process in another swim-lane , put a wait shape (wait for few mins) and then end this exception flow with a terminate shape. This ensures that even if a Send email breaks ,the parallel swim lane process terminates the process after few minutes ;but here I need one clarity ,suppose the Send Email doesn't have any problems and that flow(happy path flow) proceeds and hits the "terminate end shape"(both flows ends in terminate shape) in the flow ,will the timer be still active for the predefined minutes. Also any other suggestions to end the process gracefully even if the Send Email breaks.

Another note ,I am just wondering what is the significance of Exception Flow on Send Email smart shape if it can't trigger the exception flow upon failure.

• George - 

Please have a look at the design shown below.

In this example, a time task is started immediately.
    The timer's duration is set to a period that's longer than we expect the process to last.  In this case, a day.
    If, for some reason, the send mail node fails, 1 day after the process started, it will flow into the "Expired" terminate end task and terminate all activity in the process.

For illustrative purposes, I'm showing you the "happy" path and the Exception path.  There's 2 terminate end tasks shown.  You could use one.  Just make sure to use terminates, even on the happy path.  That way we can stop the timer and allow the process memory to be recovered by the server.  You could use one end task if you prefer, just make sure it's a terminate.

Does that make sense?