Need back up of processes

Certified Associate Developer

Hi All,

Is there a way to take back up of running processes? So, That we can reuse it in case any running process is deleted 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Can you provide additional detail on your use case? Why would a running process be deleted in your system? Are you trying to restore a single process instance or all instances for a given time?

Having system backups would allow you to rollback the system to a previous state, but it would be the entire system. Backing up an individual active process instance isn't something that could be easily done.

in reply to ericg329

Hi Eric,

We changed the logic for our main workflow, Earlier everything was stored inside Appian memory but in the new implementation we have moved everything to external DB and we are making an API call as and when those information's are required. Now, We have huge number of already running processes and we want to shift those information's to our DB and delete the existing processes from Appian. So that everything will be available at newer instance but just for the safe side we want to take back up before delete which will help us to regain those information in case something goes wrong

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to viveku3486

I would suggest a few things, but you will still need to make some decisions based on your change management plan and what the legacy processes are doing.

1. If you are cutting over to the new process design all at once or in clearly defined windows, I would suggest doing a system backup prior to the cut over. This will give you a safety net in a worst case scenario. If you are on Appian Cloud you can coordinate with the engineers to take a snapshot of your instance prior to the cutover or they may be able to leverage one of the nightly backups based on your implementation schedule.

If you are working in an on-premise instance, I would suggest coordinating with your admin team to setup a backup based on your specific infrastructure setup.

2. Rather than deleting your legacy process instances, I would suggest canceling or terminating them. You will probably need to determine which is best based on your process design, where the instances are in the process flow, and how many are active during the cut over window. If there aren't many active instances manually canceling them is probably easiest, but if you have a large number you will probably want to automate the process. You can leverage something like the Cancel Process smart service for this.

Once canceled, the process instances will be eligible to be archived based on your archival settings. The archived processes will be moved to disk where you can unarchive them in the future, if needed.

https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/19.4/Cancel_Process_Smart_Service.html

https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/19.4/Managing_Process_Archives.html

3. As with any production change, it would be best to test your cut over process in a lower level environment to make sure it meets all of your needs prior to running it against production data.

in reply to ericg329

Thank you for the detailed analysis Eirc. I will surely consider this points and try to get the best way possible, in order to accomplish what we need.