Displaying a view (or an image) of an active process in an interface

Hi all,

Please how can I display a view of an active process in an interface?  We are looking to show initiators of a particular process a view of the process so they can see how the request is tracking along.  See screenshot attached.  If possible, we would like to create a tab in the summary view in a record, and in that tab, show an image of the process.  Suppose we have the process id stored in a CTD, can we use the process ID to call up an image (or view) of the process like the image below?

Thanks

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi - I would recommend you use some of the out of the box components such as the a!milestoneField(). Remember that an Appian application is a technical implementation of a set of business requirements and exposing this to an end-user may not communicate anything particularly meaningful to them. If(as in your example) the process is a background one (asynchronous to the User) you could add periodic updates of a status to a database table, and use an auto-refreshing interface to track the progress. Note that this only makes where the background process runs for quite some time as the fastest you can currently auto-refresh an interface is every 30 seconds.

• Thanks Stewart,

I agree with you and have accepted your answer.  This is mainly because your answer works for end user processes, and I appreciate that.  However, in addition to end user addresses, the IT department also has some processes that they want to track in detail and I would still like to see how to achieve the description in post above (if it's possible).

Thanks

• If it's the IT Department why can't they use the Appian Process Monitor (the same tool you used to grab the attached screenshot)?

• Yes, absolutely.  But is it possible that the users can get a more seamless user experience if they are able to view the processes in the same interface where they are working on the cases rather than having to hop into a process monitoring screen?  Especially now that people are working remotely and might be using a mobile device etc.

• I guess my concern here is for the bigger picture. What's the underlying purpose of being able to see a running instance of a process model? I presume that it's so that they can take action if there's been a problem (otherwise all you would be able to do would be to would be to see that there was a problem but not be able to do anything about it!). If that's the case then it makes sense to give them full access to the Process Monitor which has been designed from the outset to view and take action on process instances. 

• I guess my concern here is for the bigger picture. What's the underlying purpose of being able to see a running instance of a process model? I presume that it's so that they can take action if there's been a problem (otherwise all you would be able to do would be to would be to see that there was a problem but not be able to do anything about it!). If that's the case then it makes sense to give them full access to the Process Monitor which has been designed from the outset to view and take action on process instances. 

Children